Colon - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2020

Colon

We headed north again today but decided to hit out on a local road for part of the way.  It kept us off National Route 14 for a while but it got pretty sticky in places.  At one point we needed to walk the bicycles through a muddy section after which we had to spend some time clearing the mud from the mudguards and tyres before we could continue.  Nonetheless, it was a nice diversion.

Less smooth than National Route 14 but less traffic and in a pastoral environment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty muddy by the time we got to National Route 14.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the highway it was easy riding similar to yesterday with an easterly breeze keeping us cool.

A section of the road was concrete slabs, each one numbered. This one has the year of my birth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the year of Leigh's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

About eleven kilometers from Colon we had a long and large lunch at a restaurant at a fuel station before turning eastwards to the small city.  It's a pretty little place located on the Uruguay River.

While checking in we were given the third degree relating to COVID-19 and soon afterwards saw Presidents Macron and Trump announcing their countries' new stronger measures to control the spread of the virus.   This brought the message home and we sprung into action.We have a taxi booked back to Buenos Aires and we have started the process to change our flights.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,457 km (1,526 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0