Buenos Aires - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2020

Buenos Aires

This is pretty much the end of this trip.  It is sad that it had to fizzle out this way but there are more important things happening in the world right now.

Our taxi got us safely to Buenos Aires by midday.  Then the fun started.  The guesthouse in which we were booked to stay, conveniently close to four bicycle shops, had a family with Corona Virus contact.  This meant they were in quarantine and could not admit us.  They tried to organize an apartment a few kilometers away for us but when we got there there was no space for the bicycles.  So we cycled back to the Duomi Plaza where we had stayed previously.  They claimed to be in quarantine as well.  Huh ?  So I abused their internet connection to find somewhere else to stay.  Then, when I stepped outside, they locked me out of the hotel so I couldn't access their wifi.  When we arrived at the next hotel they wouldn't admit us.  So we headed to a cafe. ordered some food and used their wifi to book at another hotel.  Third time lucky and the River Hotel will be our home until we can organize our flights back to South Africa.  They have been very kind and helpful, making space for us to store the bicycles.  The room is great and affordable which is good because we may be here for a while.  I called the South African Embassy to let them know of our whereabouts and they told me that flights out are very full because everyone is trying to get home as soon as possible.  We are just happy to be in a reasonably safe and functional place from where we are in the best position to organize a way to get back to South Africa.

In a far worse position are our friends Martin and Elsp who are stuck in Carleta Tortel having caught the ferry from Puerto Natales.  It turned out that six people on the ferry had the virus and the town is in forcible lockdown.  It is one of those places with no ATMs, few credit card facilities, very little internet connectivity and only one road out.  

In an even worse position are the millions of refugees around the world that have been displaced by wars caused the super powers using the refugees' countries and governments as pawns in their power struggles and continued raping of the developing world.

As stressed as we felt earlier on today we have no reason to complain our our situation at all.

It is likely that the next time I will post it will be for the 9th Step.  Until then let's use this current world crisis to make it a better place.  Don't be kak, be lekker.

Today's ride: 9 km (6 miles)
Total: 2,466 km (1,531 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Elspeth JarmanHi Jean-Marc and Leigh, How did you get on getting home? Indeed, are you home yet? We were very relieved to get back to our house on Tuesday. Our village is quite a different place to the one we left. Virtually no traffic on the roadside at least we can safely get out to do the shopping run by bicycle thereby combining our shopping needs with our daily quota of exercise. The place has a vigilante feel to it right now as residents complain about people driving somewhere to walk and not sticking to their own streets. Things on social media have turned quite nasty, somehow these things seem to bring out the best and worst of people. So many volunteering to help those trapped in their homes and NHS workers who had retired recently flooding back to help with the admissions.

Well, we both hope you are home and healthy. Please let us know! Email Elspmart2@gmail.com.

All the best

Elsp & Mart
Reply to this comment
4 years ago