Buenos Aires - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 1, 2020

Buenos Aires

After breakfast at the hotel we set off on our bicycles to the ferry port to book our tickets to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay for tomorrow.  The ferry port is an easy ride only a few kilometers away from our hotel.  Then we headed off to look for the famous Cementerio de la Recoleta.  Being who we are we got pretty lost but it gave us the opportunity to take in a few other sights.  The first was this Russian tall ship berthed close to the ferry port.

The Russian tall ship near the ferry port.
Heart 0 Comment 0

How we ended up at the obelisk is anyone's guess but we had to stop for a picture.  We also managed to cycle right past the famous Teatro Colon without seeing it.

The Obelisco de Buenos Aires, erected in 1936 to commemorate the quadri-centennial of the first foundation of the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We eventually got to the cemetery in the heat of the day (over thirty degrees again) but still managed to enjoy it.

The church at the Cementerio de la Recoleta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some imposing tombs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one holds a late President of the Nation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Juan Bautista Alberdi who created one of the first drafts of the Argentinean constitution. One of the many Masonic tombs in the cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most are family tombs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some are quite ostentatious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are a number of recent internments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very popular tomb. Eva Peron lies under the pathway just in front of these plaques.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaques have been erected by various organizations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The queue waiting to photograph the memorial to Eva.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Domingo Faustino Sarmiento was the 7th President of Argentina and also a Free Mason judging by the plaques on his tomb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the hotel we cooled off with a beer and an ice-cream before retreating to the coolth of our air-conditioned room.  By six thirty it had cooled off enough and we went off to look at the outside of the Teatro Colon, tours of the inside now being long over.

The Teatro Colon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And finally we had supper at a historic pizza den - the Pizzeria Guerrin, established in 1932 by two Italian migrants and still going strong.  The original counter top at which they first served pizzas is still in high demand as a place to smuggle a slice or two.

Supper at the Pizzeria Guerrin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,978 km (1,228 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0