Samut Songkhram - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2019

Samut Songkhram

We were determined to get away earlier this morning to avoid the heat but somehow that didn't really happen.  We were on the road by six thirty, probably half an hour too late, and headed out of Petchaburi's north eastern end.  We were soon held up when we stopped to buy some breakfast - the stall had a whole range on interesting goodies and we had to wait our turn while other customers were being served.  When we did get going it was with more breakfast than we would normally need, including some lovely fishcakes.  This meant we could forgo second breakfast later in the morning.

Breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0

The road northwards was moderately busy but had a great shoulder to start off with and later a dedicated cycle lane.  It joined up with route 2021, called the Royal Coastal Route, which covers most of the eastern side of Peninsular Thailand and has a cycle lane for its full length.

Thailand goes to the polls today for the first time since the military takeover in 2014.  The election posters and loud, electioneering mobile loudspeakers systems have been in our faces since we arrived in Thailand six weeks ago so we were somewhat surprised by the low level of excitement.

Election posters
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just northwards of Ban Laem we passed through a series of saltpans where we spent a lot of time birding.  We also stopped at the bridge over the Bang Tabun River picking up various terns and gulls that were hanging around the fishing boats.  We added some nice birds added to the trip list but didn't manage to pick up any lifers.

Salt pans
Heart 2 Comment 0

The birding was really enjoyable but it meant that we would now be spending more time in the hotter part of the day than we intended.  By the time we got to the intersection with route 35 where route 2021 comes to an end it was once again as hot as hell.  We managed to get over the four busy lanes route 35 via a subway and headed up quiet roads to route 3093 which led us to the ferry over the Mae Klong at Samut Songkhram.

Ferry ride ... again !
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our visit to Samut Songkhram is focused on tourist stuff we have neglected to do on previous visits.  Samut Songkhram is all about its markets, particularly the floating markets, and wWe are staying at the rather grubby Alongkorn Hotel right near the famed Mae Klong Railway Market and just seven kilometers from the Amphawa Floating Market.  

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,376 km (854 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0