Kanchanaburi - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2019

Kanchanaburi

Because we had a short ride ahead of us the plan was to have a late lie in this morning.  Somehow I was awake at four o'clock and so we spent the time sorting out a few things for when we return to South Africa at the end of next week.    When we did get going it was quickly aborted because Leigh's bicycle's rear tyre was pretty soft.  I suspected it was the valve core (which I will tighten later) but swapped the tube in the shade of a tree at the guesthouse.  Much more comfortable than having to deal with it in the heat somewhere along the road.

Breakfast was also different this morning - khanom krok, the lovely little coconut tartlets that can be found being sold on the sides of the road.

Khanom khrok.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We crossed back onto the southern side of the Mae Klong after a few kilometers and then came upon the site of Wat Tham Suea with the Chinese styled Wat Tham Khao Noi next to it.  They are perched on the top of a steep little hill and there is a  funicular rail-car that can be used if one is too lazy to climb the steep stairs.  We were too lazy and can attest that the rail-car is crazily steep.

Wat Tham Suea with Wat Tham Khao Noi to its left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view over the plains east of Kanchanaburi from Wat Tham Suea.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was a hot cycle along the river to Kanchanaburi passing many Chinese cemeteries but also, unfortunately, a number of ugly quarries with a few enormous trucks carrying gravel.

Chinese cemetery.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We crossed back to the northern side of the river into Kanchanaburi which seems to be a lot bigger and busier than I remember it from eight years ago.  We sought out a 7-Eleven and cooled down with an ice-cream and the cooling blast of its air-conditioner.  Then it was back to the south side and our digs for the next two nights - the P-House Resort which lies about five kilometers out of town.

Crossing the famous bridge again - last time was eight years ago. Of course, the popular name is all wrong. The bridge is not over the River Kwai (although that river is only a few hundred meters away) but rather the Mae Khlong which we have been following since Samut Somkhran. Ever practical, in order to fit in with tourists' expectations, the Thais now sometimes refer to this part of the Mae Khlong as the Kwai Yai and the proper Kwai as Kwai Noi (or big and little Kwai respectively) . Amazing how a popular movie can affect things.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Late in the afternoon we cycled down to the bridge and into town to find some supper.  Just a point on why I think eating local food is mostly best when touring.  We had a couple of pizzas for supper tonight for which the total cost would have bought us a week's worth of local Thai dinners.  Not bad pizzas though.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,523 km (946 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0