Hat Yai - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2019

Hat Yai

We got away from the hotel in Samnak Kham at about six thirty picking up some patango with pandang custard for breakfast at one of the many stalls that were already operating along the side of the busy highway 4 aka AH2 or Asian Highway 2.  The first place that looked quiet enough for us to enjoy them was a rubber tree plantation a few kilometers north of the town.

Patango for breakfast in a rubber tree plantation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road was never going to be attractive.  Its four lanes wide and carries a lot of traffic all hours of the day.  However, options were limited so we gritted our teeth and tried to make the most of it.  Every now and then something different stood out that we could stop and admire.

Just because a company's business is something mundane like logistics, it doesn't mean it has to have a boring entrance to its premises.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wall outside the Asia Logistic Company.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Andrea BrownWhen thinking about logistics it seems like these two fellows would be good at clearing away obstacles and keeping people on schedule.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

North of Sadao we came upon a beautiful white Buddha at a wat.  In the early morning light it seemed so serene and clean compared to the gritty highway in front of it.  Below the base of the Buddha lay the most chilled-out Ganesha I have ever laid my eyes upon.

A glorious white Buddha seated on a pink lotus blossom at a wat north of Sadao.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Probably the coolest representation of Ganesha that I have ever seen.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea Brown“Obstacles removed, time for a daiquiri!”
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Andrea BrownThat's his job and there were no stones in our pathway on the ride to Hat Yai.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Despite the busy highway, the ride itself was almost enjoyable.  We are both well rested after a good sleep last night and we made very good time with very little effort.  The easterly wind came from side on and kept us reasonably cool once the sun had risen above the rubber trees and we enjoyed a few stops for drinks along the way.  All in all, a relaxed ride given the circumstances.

We are spending the night at the Blue Orchid in Hat Yai before catching the 172 train up to Petchaburi tomorrow.  We arrived at about eleven o'clock and were told check in was only possible at two so we pulled out the oldest trick in the book .  We left the loaded bicycles parked outside the lobby and settled our sweaty stinking bodies down in the easy chairs in the lobby area.  Within two minutes we were told that our room was ready for us.

The Blue Orchid has the most fantastic swimming pool - which is why we are happy to pay 650 baht for the room.  It is well-shaped for doing laps so we can spend tomorrow morning getting some cross-training done while we wait until it is time to leave for the train station.

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,176 km (730 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0