Day 13 - Grind It Out - Package Deal Part 2: Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2018

Day 13 - Grind It Out

Udon Thani to Khon Kaen

Now true and proper in the Isaan region, the scenery would be characterized by rolling hills, rice fields and plains as far as the eye could see. In a word, not much, and certainly a change from Laos. This is standard though, and for whatever reason I'm drawn to cycling in this region. Maybe it's just a case of doing the distances and enjoying the many stops. Indeed, the stops become the highlights of any Isaan cycle tour.

Might as well get used to it, this will go on for awhile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The new king is making himself known.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thank goodness for those Doi Inthanon Coffee, 7/11, and Café Amazon stops at gas stations all strategically placed about 20km apart. The timing of those pit stops is an absolute lifesaver, and the creature comforts make them the highlights. Whenever there is a population settlement, you can also be guaranteed waves and greetings from the locals. More subdued than Laos, but cheerful nonetheless, as you simply don't have many foreign cycle tourists.

It's just a matter of doing the distances. They can be long, tough, and hard in this region. That's how I felt today, couldn't really get into the groove and was flubbing all day. A German cycle tourist going the other way was feeling in a similar way. I managed to spot him despite the separated median and then stopped for a chat. This was probably the first time I saw another cyclist on a highway like this, as they mostly opt for the backroads. But we both wanted to get distances done today. He is doing pretty much the exact opposite route as I've come from, and I recommend a list of stops and things to do in each.

Eventually I got to Khon Kaen as it got dark and was completely beat.

View from outside my condo, the best one of the trip actually
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 120 km (75 miles)
Total: 963 km (598 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0