Day 6. To Augusta, MO. 38 miles. - Katy Trail - Our First Cycle Touring Experience. - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2021

Day 6. To Augusta, MO. 38 miles.

Well this morning is looking to be a great day. No rain in sight, and the high of 77°. Who couldn't ask for a better day! This trip has been so great! Pushing our bodies, eating well, seeing great scenery, having great conversations with each other, meeting great people, and having great adventures.

Not knowing what will happen each day has been quite exciting, and in some sense has been very liberating. We try to make our lives so controlled and conditioned that anything out of the ordinary just throws us off. We've been enjoying food more, enjoying drink more, and becoming more grateful for a sunny day. 

This all with not being in control of what will happen and only taking one day at a time. On the first day, all I could think about is that 48 mile day that we finished yesterday, but all we really needed to do was to think of today, and leave the rest to God. See the verse below which really his home to us. All we can really do is to handle what "today" is going to bring us.

Matthew 6:34 NIV. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Starting off this morning with a very good cup of coffee in Hermann.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We start off with a beautiful day crossing the bridge forward the trail. The high today should be only 75°. So nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Debi actually said to Jeff this morning that she will be sad that she won't be cycling everyday. Jeff about fell off his bike when she said that! Coming from Debi where her best vacation is doing nothing on a cruise ship was amazing to him! Wow! And Jeff feels the same way. Cycling everyday has been really fun. There is so much to see in Missouri and the natural beauty is breathtaking. We even enjoyed seeing farmland!

This was so funny! Now Debi has screamed just about every day about something. This stick that she is holding got kicked up from my back wheel and she screamed multiple times in succession.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I guess Debi thought the stick was a snake! Jeff doesn't even respond anymore to her screams. Yes, bad husband right? Jeff just keeps pedaling, and then asks what it was, but the stick on her lap that she thought was a snake got us both laughing!! The above picture was taken almost right after. So funny!

We've been so amazed at the beauty of nature and what we've seen in Missouri.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today is only 38-39 miles, and Debi is so happy to be riding on the trail. Jeff loves these pictures of her when she raises up her arms like a little girl saying "Wheeee" as we go. 

Jeff always loves it when he sees his wife having fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here we are having a picnic at Treloar with our bike in the background. Like we've said before that food tastes so much better when you are outside and riding. We are having leftover pizza, and chicken salad on a pretzel roll. Yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrive at our Bed and Breakfast in Augusta, MO called Lindenhof B&B after 39 miles, and an intense ride up the hill. Oh my!! For you car drivers, you never realize how much work it is to get up a hill when you are pushing with your own legs, and you've just finished 30+ miles. Oh my!!

Lindenhof B&B in Augusta, MO.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Augusta, MO has one restaurant in town called "Root" which sources local veggies and food. A bit expensive, but really really good in this small town, which is kind of out of place. There was no way we were going to ride our bikes another 7 miles on the ride to go to the closest town. 

"Root" restaurant in a very, very small town of Augusta, MO.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a really good day. We both felt very strong after that long 48 miles, and lightly raining almost all the day. We've got stronger each day, and we both are not looking forward to the end. We've enjoyed such a great time to talk together, prayer, enjoy scenery, and eating. Oh and did we mention "eating"? Oh yes!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 235 miles (378 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0