Day 5. To Hermann. A rain day. 48 Miles. - Katy Trail - Our First Cycle Touring Experience. - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2021

Day 5. To Hermann. A rain day. 48 Miles.

Oh boy! A light rain outside of Jefferson City and supposed to follow us into Hermann with some breaks throughout the day. We can handle light rain. It's the hard rain that we are afraid of, but then again we aren't going to live in Fear, right? Right! We could call up the Katy Bike Rental company and they can bring a trailer out to drive us to Hermann, but don't think we are going to go that way.

Today was a little scary for both of us because this is the longest distance we have ever gone on this bike. We prayed with each other, but also we are feeling pretty good. 

So we head out of our hotel, and we have this steep incline out of the hotel, and our legs are just burning. Then I ask Debi if she has her brake on, and she says "Whoops!" Oh my goodness. My legs are burning and she has the brake on!!! :) 

Driving out early, cloudy, and somewhat drizzly with rain. We are still pushing on anyways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to get some pictures by all the monuments and such.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are always seeing some old buildings along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to put our rain caps on because it is lightly raining. Yes, they look a lot like shower caps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then it gets sunny, and we've got to put on sunscreen. Oh boy. But as we start out, it rains again, but it is sunny. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Falling rocks! What? Yep. It actually happened and destroyed this section of the trail, and we had to use the detour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And while on the trip, we are meeting people that are doing the same thing as us. We instantly connected with them, and talk very freely. And you can tell that it is raining, and we are all keeping under the small shelter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It lightly rained the whole day as you can tell by my sunglass that are wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then the Missouri river shows up again on our right. Such beautiful country while moving at 10 miles per hour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have finished almost 48 miles, and we are coming into Hermann. We are so ready for this day to be over, but then it really wasn't that difficult. Our legs and lungs have got stronger over the last 5 days, and we did this much easier than the 1st day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And Jeff said halfway through the trip that he was really looking forward to a cup of coffee, and when we got to Hermann we found a place called "Common Grounds" which brewed a really good cup of coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we found a pizza place that came recommended by the coffee shop and downed a thin crust pizza. Oh boy was it good. Everything seems to taste better after you've been out all day in the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then of course we found a chocolates place, and had to buy some chocolates. Yummy!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It ended up being a really good day. We are both tired, but we feel like we accomplished something that we've never done before. 

Until tomorrow. 37  miles. That should be easy. :)

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 197 miles (317 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0