Bothwell bound - Three old blokes tackle the Tasmania Trail - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2022

Bothwell bound

Ouse to Bothwell

Despite a little rain overnight we woke to a crisp clear morning, eagerly anticipating the breakfast menu at the Lachlan Hotel.

Our first campfire of the trip.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Alas bacon and eggs with a sardine sauce was not on the menu. Still it was a really hearty breakfast and fuelled us up for our climb up to Bothwell and a much needed rest day. The publican was back serving us and was more than happy to slag Bothwell and especially the Bothwell pub when we enquired about it. I’d selected Bothwell as the Tassie brochures painted it as an arty epicurean village but she was bagging it big time. There’s 2 gun shops and a pub that serves crap food. The only positive she could say was that Bothwell had the most sheep in the world. I queried whether she meant Tasmania but no it was the world. This was not a lady to be messed with so I just nodded meekly.

After wasting 15 minutes trying to restock my supplies of Werther’s originals we set off on smooth dirt road up into the hills. It’s really dry here and not the verdent green I was expecting.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Pete’s second flat of the trip.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We ended up climbing around 750 metres before we got onto the plateau separating Ouse from Bothwell. It was nice riding but hardly a tree to be seen.

Heart 2 Comment 0
As green as it got today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visitors for morning tea.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pete acknowledging the crowd at the mountain top finish on the Col de Bothwell.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The run down to Bothwell was well earned although the road was more corrugated and loose so it wasn’t full gas for me. 

So many sheep you can’t see the grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our stone cottage in Bothwell.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We’ve got a rest day tomorrow which we’ve well and truly earned. I am not going anywhere near my bike!

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 494 km (307 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0