The Most Southern Point of Continental Europe - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2023

The Most Southern Point of Continental Europe

Tarifa

Today is our travel day leaving Malaga behind.  Our tour group gathered together in the morning to load bike boxes onto the tour operator's van and luggage onto the bus.  Then the humans congregated on the bus for a pleasant 2 plus hour ride along the Mediterranean coastline to the most southern point of land on continental Europe:  Tarifa.  

The bus driver assured the avid volunteers that he had a perfect plan for the suitcases.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Luxury ride down the Costa del Sol
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first sighting of the African continent
Heart 2 Comment 0
Overlooking the Med with Morocco on the far side
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to take photos of the massive Rock of Gibraltar.  I had no idea it was so large!!  Shortly afterwards we began the descent down towards Tarifa.

The Atlantic Ocean to the west of Tarifa
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel for the night with its rooftop swimming pool. Water temp in the pool is 24C - too warm!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the balcony of our room
Heart 3 Comment 1
kath vowlesLike the hotel, stylish and classy and just our sort of thing. Quite new according to google maps ( doesn't exist on the current satellite image 😁) Noted for future reference 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our room
Heart 2 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESYour bed board looks like the entrance to what I think is called in Queen's Bath at the Alcazar in Sevilla.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After settling into our room it was bike building time.  The three tandems huddled together in the hotel garage to build their bicycles built for two, while a few singles were put together, and a few rental bikes were fitted to their new riders.  A couple hours later, bikes were test ridden and then tucked away for the night.  Time came to explore town.

After looking at the map, we decided to walk down to the most southern tip of land - its that peninsula head across the incredible colored Med.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately this property on the peninsula was gated and locked.  We weren't able to walk out to the southern point.  Bummer!

Love the signage - Atlantic on the right and Mediterranean on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESGlad you had calm (ish?) winds! We just about got blown over during our March 2017 visit. The Moroccan coast was barely visible due to the dust. We did enjoy lobster paella at that restaurant immediately adjacent to the causeway.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Me, too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice size waves on the right (Atlantic side)
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhat a spectacular sky!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Scott AndersonFrom what I’ve been told, we were super lucky with the conditions. Blue sky and we could see Morocco.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Smooth, calm waters on the left (Med side)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back from the peninsula side toward Tarifa and the ruins from the roman and Moor eras.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entry to Tarifa
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Castilla de Guzman El Bueno (I guess they like this guy)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle was closed, but we walked around the exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tarifa Jet - a jet boat ferry that runs to Tangers - was departing from the port.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner was had at the hotel and was absolutely amazing.  Too much food!  Since we ate a bit more than we should have, we went for a short walk afterwards.  We witnessed the remains of the sunset.  It was really tough for us to acknowledge that the sun was setting OVER the Atlantic (that's just so wrong in our minds!). 

Good night to all! Sweet dreams!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Once last peek at Morocco with its night lights.
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesGood luck and have fun🥰
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Tomorrow we begin to ride . . .

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0