Day 9: Caceres to Trujillo - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2023

Day 9: Caceres to Trujillo

It's our shortest day of the journey yet!  As we departed Caceres we were able to look back and see the Ciudad Monumental from a lower vantage point.

We paused on the road out of town to look back to see where we had been. We highly recommend a visit to Caceras if you're in the neighborhood.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We followed the old highway out of town which skirted along the Autovia, and as such the traffic remained on the Autovia while we had virtually none.  Nice start to the day.  This route out of Caceres was golden fields like we're used to seeing in Northeastern Oregon and Eastern Washington.  After a short bit, we turned north onto some small country roads that wander through ornithological delights.  Now we really felt like we were in North Central Oregon - actually, a lot of it reminded me of the country highway into Maupin and around Shaniko.

Open and golden colored landscape
Heart 3 Comment 0
A pond (dehesa) popped up here and there
Heart 3 Comment 0
We encountered very little traffic, but did pass a few birders walking along the road with binoculars and long lensed cameras.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interesting how the rocks poke straight upwards from the ground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I could've sworn with was along the road from Hwy 97 to Maupin. What do you Central Oregon folks think?
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was truly a beautiful scenic ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a lovely descent we encountered this riparian area.  As I walked up to the road side to look over into the water I heard a splash.  When I looked down there was a turtle swimming and then he came up for air and was fully visible.  He was a good size guy.  By the time I got the camera out, he had sighted us and stayed under water in the shadows and popped up so quickly that pictures were impossible.

After 5 minutes or so, we gave up trying to photograph him.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we continued the descent to the main river crossing.  Water is very low around here as Spain is experiencing a severe draught.  But it was still very pretty.

Looking down from the bridge directly into the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is an upriver shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down river from the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice background for a photo op. Meet David & Barbara.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And then Chris & Gwen rode by. This couple put on the 2010 NW Tandem Rally in Medford. We were there!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We climbed up the short, but steep grade, and found a village with an open cafe.  Today is "Labor Day" in Spain (and France), so towns seem to be quite lively.  There was a very small market happening in the square next to the cafe.  

We enjoyed another refresco de limon while sitting in the shade.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once again we were on the road and had another wonderful sweeping descent - oh yes, the ride profile showed a lump at the bottom of the valley.  Back down to the river we went and much to our surprise and delight - turtles.  We counted at least 12.  Hope you can see them.

Down river scenery
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are two turtles sunning themselves on the rock in the water.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltTurtles are likely Spanish pond turtles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_pond_turtle
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Off of the twigs hanging over the water, there is a turtle just floating in place. He was there for a long time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
He's pretty visible here - the spot in the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this is the best shot. Look at the point of the rock on the left middle of the photo. There's one close to the rock ledge and another one further into the water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the view looking upriver.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We met a Belgium couple at this turtle sighting area and they told us that they visit this area annually.  They explained that last year there were many more wildflowers and the birds were more abundant.  The draught is causing grave concerns as there hasn't been any rain yet this spring.

As we continued down the road, we came across this aqueduct
Heart 2 Comment 0
And an area with a lot of rock walls
Heart 1 Comment 0
And more lovely scenery as we approached our overnight town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our Garmin told us there was one more climb to do and it's up to our paradore that is by that castle up on top of the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our usual routine once we park the bike is to retrieve our luggage and find our room.  After showers, we get our laundry sorted before heading out to explore the town.  Today, "Labor Day", is special in Trujillo - it's the national cheese festival.  We wandered through the cobbled narrow roads looking for a cold beverage and kept moving towards the din of a crowd.  We came across the plaza where the festival was set up and figured out how to buy tickets.  Tickets gave us beer or wine, and bites of cheese from the various vendors. 

This is what we saw as we entered the plaza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There must have been about 100 cheese vendors, 2 wine vendors, and 2 beer vendors.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Francisco Pizarro statue
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cheese wrapped in flower petals - it was delicious
Heart 4 Comment 0
One row of cheese vendors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yummy goat cheese.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another row of cheese vendors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many people everywhere!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cheesecake with blueberry topping, but not like a cheesecake made with Philly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was my favorite - his blue cheese had won a gold medal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And more dessert like cheese creations - all quite tasty, but not sweet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been interesting as we have been traversing across Spain - the terrain has definitely changed from the agricultural lands further south.  

Day 9: Caceres to Trujillo
Heart 3 Comment 0

P.S.  We solved yesterday's Garmin puzzle.  :-)

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,555 km (966 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Helen Louise ChapmanWhat was the puzzle of the Garmin?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyThat can be a conversation over our next dinner. 🥴
Reply to this comment
11 months ago