Day 8: Merida to Caceres - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2023

Day 8: Merida to Caceres

Today will be a shorter and cooler day for riding, both of which we were looking forward to.  I did happen to catch a photo or two of the paradore where we spent the night.

View from our room of the entry courtyard
Heart 1 Comment 0
The inner courtyard
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our fellow cyclists are getting ready - all are excited for the short route which will give us time to take in the sites in Caceres.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After saying goodbye to our ride leader, Roxan, we set off for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After turning our bags over to the van driver, Borja, we ready the tandem and set off.  We were told about the next town at last night's Happy Hour and there will be a lot to walk around and see - an older inner city and some great museums.  Good thing it's a short day!  As we left the paradore courtyard, another tandem in front of us turned left and our Garmin said turn right.  We assumed they were backtracking to take photos of that Roman bridge we rode across yesterday.  

As we were leaving town, we came across some more Roman ruins, the Roman Circus of Merida and part of an aqueduct. 

The circus grounds won't open for another couple of hours.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking the length of the field. Circus grounds are where the chariot races were held.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The aqueduct
Heart 1 Comment 0
And more stork nests on the top of the town entry pillars.
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we spotted our first stork a week ago, we thought it was a special treat.  Storks and their nests with fledglings in them are EVERYWHERE!  Our next stop was a stork condominium atop of a village church.  I counted 12 nests up there!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesThis the trouble with storks. They don't seem to like to expand outside the area where they were originally born, so if storks are in the area you have lots of them and to some they become a nuisance, building their nests everywhere.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

We continued down the road and crossed a lovely river . . . it appears I enjoyed the scene but failed to take photos.  There was an old bridge next to the one we were on.  At this point our Garmin told us to turn left, so we did.  We stopped because the road turned to gravel with what I call baby head stones.  We couldn't see any bicycle tracks anywhere and it seemed very odd to go down this particular road.  I pulled out my phone and pulled up the Ride with GPS route on the phone (bigger screen) to see if there was another road close by.  I f0und our turn between kilometer 15 and 16 but there wasn't any indication of gravel.  Odd!  So I pulled up Google Maps to see what other roads would get us to the same spot.  Hmmm . . . After much pondering and reviewing maps, we determined that our Garmins were taking us to a different location than where we were supposed to be going.  Hmmm . . . any shortcuts to get to the correct road?  Nope!  It was really a lovely day for a bike ride!  So, back to Merida we went and cut over to the other side of town and connected with the correct route.  It was a Garmin puzzle!

But then we found this fantastic Roman dam and the puzzling thoughts of Garmin faded quickly as we became absorbed in exploring and learning about its construction a couple of thousand years ago.

This sign explains the assumed construction process
Heart 1 Comment 0
Presa Romana de Proserpina (the dam)
Heart 2 Comment 0
A channel for water to flow from the dam
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful lake and there were a few fishermen. It's catch & release here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My charming captain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view of the top of the dam
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the buttresses still remain and they are on both sides of the dam.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a very long segment, and so hard to believe the engineering ingenuity of 2,000 years ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After we left the lake, we noticed we were riding along one of the aqueducts from the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were pedaling along and looked up and saw this family - the closest we've been to take a good photo.

Mom & Dad had some noisy kids!
Heart 5 Comment 0
The plains looked like patchwork.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountains in the far distance with orchards closer.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As the day had passed along, we pulled into the tiny village of Aldea del Cano to find a cold beverage.  We tried to visit the church, but the Sunday service had it filled.  We figured cyclists shouldn't be seen at that moment.

The church with its reconstructed tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We enjoyed a cold lemon soda under the canopies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then we passed this castle along the way to Caceres.
Heart 2 Comment 0
But one castle wasn't enough, this second one was a neighboring property.
Heart 1 Comment 2
kath vowlesKepping up with Jones's. What ever your neighbour has you can do better😁.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneySo true. #2 wins by far though!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Close up of the second castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And its entry gates . . . we didn't stop in.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About 15 kilometers from the end of today’s route, we had a flat tire. Sigh!  Chuck quickly repaired it by removing all the rubbery sealant, putting a tube in, and pumping it back up.  Since the cut was in the sidewall, the sealant wasn’t able to do its job.  Oh well … shortly we were back on the road and finished the ride.

We finally made it to the City Center of Caceres and found our hotel off of a large square full of restaurants.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We went exploring after showering and washing the laundry and discovered the Cuidad Monumental.  This is the old town which has a mix of Gothic and Renaissance architecture, with cobbled medieval streets, fortified houses and palaces.  The city is encircled by Moorish walls from the 12th century with about 30 towers.  You have probably seen this area in numerous movies over the years. It’s a popular set for making period films because it is easy for filmmakers to shoot scenes without modern items in view. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Mass was being held yet tourists were milling about.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The second church we visited within the old city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View to the north from the church tower looking towards the first church we entered.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View to the south from the tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The alter in the second church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A diorama on display in the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love old doors
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many towers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The autonomous community of Extremadura should be on anyone's list to visit when traveling to Spain.  So much history!

Day 8: Merida to Caceras (and should have been 73k)
Heart 2 Comment 1
Helen Louise ChapmanNot a welcome detour I think 😬
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 1,656 km (1,028 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0