Day 7: Zafra to Merida - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2023

Day 7: Zafra to Merida

We we went down to breakfast in the courtyard, the air was so fresh and cool.  It was actually raining!!  Wow!!  Finally a break in the heatwave and the thirsty land of Spain will welcome the rain.  By the time we were ready to ride, the rain had stopped and the roads were bone dry.  However, the air remained cool and there was a brisk wind.  

Vinyards on the left
Heart 2 Comment 0
Almonds on the right
Heart 2 Comment 0
Olives everywhere!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Water fountain
Heart 3 Comment 0
Village plaza
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ever changing scenery
Heart 2 Comment 0

The wind was a rather strong side wind most of the morning and then our Garmin told us to turn left.  Once we made that turn, it became quite a headwind.  The last 30 kilometers the wind seemed to die down and we were happy about it.  We finally felt like we were making some progress.

More orchards
Heart 1 Comment 0
Newly planted olive trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
And what's this? Peaches? Apricots?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Remember the broken black bull billboard from Day 1? Well here is one in its entirety. It's along the autoroute and we're on the quiet side road. But we've now seen one! Osbourne sherry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made it to Merida and what history this town has dating back to Roman times - BC.  

The entry towards the city center is crossing a Roman bridge - looking back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And looking forward.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Down river
Heart 2 Comment 0
Modern bridge upriver
Heart 2 Comment 0
Side view of the Roman bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0

After settling into our hotel (another parador - just wait for those pics), we set off to see the Roman Amphitheater and the Roman Theater.  They didn't disappoint.  

Once inside the Roman ruins site, we walked along this road. I'm sure glad man has improved roadways since 2000+ years ago! Riding a bicycle on this would be difficult!
Heart 2 Comment 3
rod dayBut they, & Roman bridges & buildings, have lasted a lot lot longer than modern stuff. Just look at the two bridges in a previous photo, which will fall down first?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyYou’re so right. The bridge we rode across is more than 2000 years old and it’s still fully functional.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
kath vowlesThe romans would say, What's this bike you talk about. Where is your chariot.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The amphitheater where gladiator games were once held.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These are chunks of Roman concrete that made up some of the seating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at the opposite end of the amphitheater.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steep stairway with steep risers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Roman Theater
Heart 2 Comment 0
Up close view of the right hand side - lots of marble was used.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The seating area of the theater which is still used for concerts and plays today.
Heart 1 Comment 2
rod dayDid Chuck not think of singing here?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyNo, he actually didn’t think of it.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
This area appeared to be baths as we could see where the ovens were that heated the water.
Heart 1 Comment 1
kath vowlesWhat another amazing city. I am taking notes for future visits. Who new what Roman history the extremadura region of Spain contains 🙂.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

After all our meandering around Merida in which we worked up our hunger, we enjoyed a delicious meal as you'll see from our menu.  

Our dinner menu for the evening
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this was sitting on Chuck's bread plate tonight. Sadly, he ended up tearing my heart in half!
Heart 1 Comment 0

This trip across Spain is so different from our bicycle adventure across France.  The terrain is very different.  I keep having to remind myself that Oregon and Arizona look very different, too.  It's all about perspective, right?

Day 7: Zafra to Merida
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,736 km (1,078 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0