Day 4: Seville - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2023

Day 4: Seville

Rest Day for cyclists, but not for Seville as they celebrate Feria

The part of Spain where we are is currently experiencing a heatwave and the temperature is about 10-15 degrees (Celsius) warmer than normal.  But we’re here and we played tourists today.  Our morning started with a long walk along the river as we headed towards the Parque de Maria Louisa and the Plaza de España. 

Looking across the Guadalquivir River to the blooming jacaranda trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This guy was so friendly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love the rings on this bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A galleon docked alongside the promenade
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesThis is the Nao Victoria, which we visited at Easter last year (2022) in Sete on the Med in France. It is one of three Spanish boats that had turned up for the Tall ships festival and were connected reconstructions of old Spanish galleons. Nice to see it has made its way to Seville for this spring.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
One of the many carriages we’ve seen today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another carriage
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entering the Parque de Maria Louisa.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A rubber tree (ficus family)
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Plaza de España
Heart 2 Comment 2
kath vowlesGlad you made it there. Impressive place🙂
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyTo kath vowlesIf the sun hadn't been so hot, we couldn't spent a lot more time looking around. Special place!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The railing and lamppost are ceramic!
Heart 2 Comment 0
All the various regions of Spain have a tiled scene with (free) library shelves on each side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this magnificent dress, but couldn’t get close enough, but at least it gives an idea of what we’re seeing.
Heart 1 Comment 1
kath vowlesWhat a lovely time to be there and enjoy the spectacle
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

But then we saw a professional photographer doing a shoot of this lovely lady . . .

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

After meandering around here for over an hour, we set off for our tour of the Giralda Tower, the Cathedral of Seville, and the Real Alcazar.  I have so many pictures, it’s hard to decide which ones to post!

The Giralda Tower. In order to climb up to the bells, we walked a ramp, not stairs. When it was built, the king wanted to be able to ride his horse up there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many bells at the top of the tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the largest alter in Europe (18 x 20 meters) and very elaborate. Only 13 marriages have been performed at this alter; it’s only for the royal family or aristocracy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An up close photo to show the intricate details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A silver alter piece.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the 2 organs that was built in the 16th century and is stilled played twice a year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stain glass window of two sisters who became saints because they were unjustly killed by the Romans and when the severe earthquake of Lisbon struck in the 1700s, someone saw these two sisters holding onto the Giralda Tower to save it from being destroyed. The earthquake was so strong that Seville suffered serious damage. Because of this apparition the sisters were granted saintly status.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This painting is huge and done by a local artist of Seville. The portion of the painting that includes the Saint (whose name has escaped me) was cut away and stolen, and about 10 months later an art collector bought it on the black market in New York. He promptly returned it to Seville and the piece was repaired.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christopher Columbus’ tomb. DNA has proved that at least 20% of the remains are truly his. I lost count of how many times his body was relocated, but it included several places in Spain, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and then back to Seville.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The underside of his tomb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The choir room in the Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Vernon PhinneyWonder how many hours and days it took artisans to make all the elaborate carvings in this cathedral
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyWe’ve wondered the same thing.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Royal Palace in the Real Alcazar which is comprised of three palaces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The garden inside the Royal Palace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Decorative archway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The kings’ room. Every inch of this room is covered with decorations including the ceiling. The kings’ faces and information of their reign encircled the room, including the current king.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Every inch including the ceiling!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up close photo of the intricate artwork on the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the 6 huge tapestries from the third palace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tile work from the third palace - King Charles and Elizabeth of Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At this point we were exhausted and went in search of an air-conditioned bar for a cold beer (or sangria) and some tapas.  The refreshments were truly appreciated.  

Our day ended with a tour of the Flamenco Dance Museum and a professional flamenco dance.

Ladies’ jackets
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stunning artwork
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dress
Heart 1 Comment 0
And I just loved this guitar!
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesThat was one of the flamenco places we went and was the best and most professional performance.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

We all agreed that it is much harder to be a tourist than it is to ride a bicycle.  I wonder how many steps I accumulated today.  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0