Day 33: Saint Etienne de Baïgorry to San Sebastián - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

Day 33: Saint Etienne de Baïgorry to San Sebastián

Wow!  And just like that we are on our last day of traversing the Iberian Peninsula.  No, it can't be over!  

It's amusing that the last day is the longest day and a really nasty climb towards the end.  Well, bring on the challenge!  It truly doesn't have to be the longest day as there is a short route if we want to take the train into San Sebastián.  We don't want to miss the views of the ocean, the flysch cliffs, or the summit top.  Plus we didn't ride all this way to shave 30+ kilometers off by taking a train.  Climb - no problem (sick mind here).

It looks it's going to be a beautiful day for a bike ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The "overflow" bikes have been pulled from garage and are waiting to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saying goodbye to St. Etienne . . .
Heart 3 Comment 0
Passing Roxan on the route this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're in Espelette which is known for its chili peppers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The summit of the first climb of the day outside of Sare.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We visited the most unusual church in Ascain on our way through - wooden balconies - three stories up!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The altar with its ornate domed ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The organ occupies part of the second and third level of balconies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There must be a story as to why this ship is suspended inside the church. We couldn't find any information about it.
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesI have seen similar in the basilique notre dame de la gare in Marseille. They are representations of real ships. And are hung to give thanks for a safe return to shore.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Onward, we can't waste too much time today since it's a long ride with a big climb.  Plus once we get to the hotel, we need to pack the tandem in its cases because we have to catch the 10 AM bus to Bilbao.

Our first sighting of the Atlantic (actually the Bay of Biscay) in Ciboure. We haven't seen the ocean since April 23rd when we left Tarifa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The water seems so refreshing to the soul.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Passing by Simon (tour director) and Héctor (support mechanic) from IberoCycles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ocean view
Heart 2 Comment 0
The flysch cliffs outside of Urrugne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking straight down on the flysch cliffside.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mother Nature is amazing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beachside view as we enter Hendaye (and we said goodbye to France as we rode back into Spain).
Heart 1 Comment 0

And then it was time to climb from sea level to 455 meters above in 8 kilometers.  The col of Jaizkibel (I think that's the bask name).  The sky is still blue, so maybe we will arrive before the rain.  With fingers crossed, we started the climb.

Finally a climb with markers - a first for this trip.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Hondarribia behind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A cabin along the climb with the ocean in the background. It was really pretty up here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views are exceptional.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We made it. Phew - there were some steep areas.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Bay of Biscay view from the summit sign.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And then we walked up to the top of the mountain to see the sights. Clouds are getting lower and the ocean is still out there.
Heart 3 Comment 0
San Sebastián is on the other side of that shoulder and sandwiched between two bays.
Heart 2 Comment 0
My King of the Mountain!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nighttime scene from our hotel balcony looking east.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And looking west.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tandem was disassembled and packed in under 2 hours.  We had ample time to clean up before Happy Half-Hour and our final group dinner.  Goodbyes were said to those of us leaving in the morning while others were making their plans for sight-seeing and cooking classes.  

Day 33: Saint Etienne de Baïgorry to San Sebastián
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 111 km (69 miles)
Total: 111 km (69 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill BogueImpressive ride, you guys!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Bill BogueFun ride! But had the constant nagging worry that we had to make good time to allow enough time to pack the tandem.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago