Day 31: Estella to Pamplona - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2023

Day 31: Estella to Pamplona

We're off to the city of the running of the bulls - thankfully, that festival doesn't happen in May!

The scenery is delightful and ever-changing as we set off.  We've been forewarned that there will be one long climb today before we have a straight and long descent.  Sounds perfect for a tandem!  The weather forecast is favorable, too.  

A pretty day for a ride!
Heart 2 Comment 0
These rosy garlic flowers were alongside the road all day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fields were constantly changing crops: wheat, barley, spelt, broad beans, peas . . . and a few more.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These covered rows are white asparagus. They are delicious, and they make a wonderful soup.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wheat as far as one can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another wild flower: wild mustard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spelt field leading to a tree farm (poplars).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Colors are so strong and vibrant - I haven't fiddled with the resolution (as I really don't know how).
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ridge as we are coming into Salinas de Oro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Salinas de Oro above us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Salt beds - these are concrete squares and the farmers will rake the salt as it dries in these beds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alongside the road was an older salt bed that doesn't seem to be used anymore, but it allowed us to see what they are like.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Summit of today's climb.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rich FrasierYou guys look great!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

A couple of kilometers from the summit where we were merrily riding along, our friend and the ride leader, Roxan, zipped past us.  Well, we couldn't have that!  Off we went.  Roxan on her single and the two of us on the tandem had a race to the summit.  We won, but it sure wasn't easy.  She said the only consolation she had in losing was that we were breathing just as hard as she was.  Yes, we were spent after that bit of ridiculousness.  

Chuck and Roxan after our "race" to the top. Man that was hard!!! She made us work.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the valley where we are headed. Because of the haze, you can't really see Pamplona in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's route was a very short ride, so Chuck & I explored the maps the night before and came up with an extra loop.  This valley is where we will be going - upriver from Pamplona before circling back round.  It should add about 11 kilometers to the route.  

This is the other end of the valley and it looks very inviting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pyramidal orchid - this photo is for our hiking buddy, Rod, because we typically do the wild orchid hike in May. We missed out this year, but we hear he hasn't gone either because it's been raining a lot in Foix.
Heart 2 Comment 1
rod dayThanks for thinking of me!!!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

After a quick coffee & hot chocolate stop in Etxarri, we headed up the valley along the Agra river until we came to this older bridge that's only 2.5 meters wide.

Bridge across Rio Arga.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chuck down below taking a photo of the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 1
rod dayDoing a Keith?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Downriver.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The descent off that summit was along the base of those rock cliffs across the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And we're headed down that road which will eventually take us to Pamplona, which can be barely seen in the middle of this photo. Still too hazy for a good view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After arriving in Pamplona, we went in search of a hamburger (at Butcher's) and some ice cream before exploring the city center.  Side note:  They make really tasty hamburgers in Spain.  However, after burgers & ice cream and during our exploration, the heavens opened up and we had to shelter in a bar with a glass of wine.  When we finished, there was a pause in the rain that let us get back to the hotel for Happy Hour without much moisture.  Our longer exploration happened that evening instead.

Bright colored buildings around the center square in Pamplona. The architecture looks much newer than other cities we've visited.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A cathedral, but we decided to not pay the entrance fee. We've seen so many cathedrals on this trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were a lot of these plaques affixed to the ground where we were walking. During the Spanish Civil War, these people were assassinated and the plaques indicate where they lived, date born, and date assassinated.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Government building.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cobbled street scene.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pamplona city wall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The entry gate for humans to the famous Pamplona bullring.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entry gate to the famous Pamplona bullring for the bulls that race through the town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Artwork that depicts the bulls doing better than the humans.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill BogueWe, of course, had to take a photo here last year as well.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Evening view of the Pyrenees from our hotel room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
City view at twilight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Day 31: Estella to Pamplona
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 265 km (165 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0