Day 30: LaGuardia to Estella - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Day 30: LaGuardia to Estella

The sunny morning we had yesterday did not repeat itself this morning.  Clouds were heavy and somewhat gloomy … or maybe that was ominous.  But all weather reports indicated no rain.  Leaving LaGuardia was a nice 5k downhill and then the work began.  We climbed for 11k and we’re thankful for cloud cover instead of sun as the climb was long, but beautiful.

Our hotel in LaGuardia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The building we walk under to leave the inner center of LaGuardia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing from the Basque Country into Navarre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve reached the summit and there are a lot of wind turbines up here. All were spinning today!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s quite pretty up here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Let the descent begin. We’re crossing over the mountains we’ve been seeing the past 3 days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The clouds are starting to break up and the sun is beginning to peak through occasionally.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Terry and Bill heading up the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I am so surprised at how pretty Spain is!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re shedding clothes as we top the last climb. More sun!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The towns along this route are very quiet and there aren’t the typical cafes along the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we got closer to Estella, we kept our eyes open for the monastery at Irache Winery . . . you'll see why we didn't want to miss it.

We rolled into the monastery at the Irache Winery which is well-known by the travelers of the Camino de Santiago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is a very large property . . . but what are we looking for?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Found it! This is a dispensary that sits right along the Camino. Water tap on one side and . . .
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wine tap on the other side. They offer you a swig of wine for your travels. The winery fills 100 liters a day into this dispensary. The signage offers a "swig" and not full bottles. We enjoyed our swig before finishing today's ride.
Heart 4 Comment 1
kath vowlesI notice that the signs are blurred on the pictures so we can't tell whether you are filling up with water or wine🤣
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Vineyard that helps produce wine for the dispensary.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We finished the downhill ride into Estella and went in search of the hotel.  After a wrong turn or two, and some backtracking we found the hotel, Hospedería Chapital.

Wow! This is what sits on the other side of the street from our hotel, Iglesia de San Miguel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A short walk was in order this late afternoon to see what we could discover.

Lovely olive tree in the church courtyard.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View to the east from the church courtyard - another huge church over yonder. No, we aren't walking over there.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View to the south from the church courtyard - ruins to be explored. No, we aren't going exploring tonight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Altarpiece in Iglesia de San Manuel. Chuck had an audience this time and the locals invited us to some service that they were setting up for. Thank you, but no thanks . . . we have dinner plans. :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a wonderful group dinner at Cafe Carmen along the river Ega.  We were served a variety of courses: carpaccio, Romaine hearts with anchovies & olive oil, white asparagus with olive oil, chorizo sausages, heritage tomatoes that weighed more than a pound a piece with olive oil (one tomato shared between 2 people), two types of croquettes (1-cheese, and 2-shrimp), and then brebis (sheep) cheesecake with ice cream.  I was too busy enjoying to take photos! 

Day 30: Laguardia to Estella
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 334 km (207 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0