Day 3: Arcos de la Frontera to Seville - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2023

Day 3: Arcos de la Frontera to Seville

We set off from Arcos in the cool morning air for a route that turned out to be very tandem friendly which allowed us to arrive in Seville before the predicted high temperature of 38C.  We rode through an agricultural area that started with orange orchards, turned to almond groves, and then changed to fields of wheat, sunflowers, potatoes, and beets.

Our paradore in Arcos. The old parking lot in front of the hotel is being renovated into a public square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hallway to our room was beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And we’re off.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almond grove
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wheat fields
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re headed towards that town ahead, Las Cabezas de San Juan.  We’d hoped to visit the church, but once we were in town we decided it wasn’t in our best interest to ride up there.  We settled for a lemon soda at a cafe before refilling our water bottles and finishing the ride into Seville.

Potato fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most likely sugar beets …
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunflower fields - it will be so beautiful in a couple of weeks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s a picture perfect day. There was a slight headwind which was welcomed as it gave us relief from the rising temperature.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We left the agricultural scene and entered the city.  Once we were in the city, we were able to ride to our hotel along cycle paths.  It was a bit frantic, so we weren’t able to take photos along the way.  But what amazed us the most were the elaborate horse drawn carriages with drivers dressed in full livery, and the ladies walking along the boulevards in beautiful flamenco gowns.  Little did we know at the time that it was Féria week in Seville.  Hopefully we can get some pictures of it tomorrow.

After checking into our room we went for a walk along the promenade in search of a cold beverage.  We weren’t disappointed - the promenade was pretty and shaded, and the beverage hit the spot.

The promenade where we sat enjoying our refreshing sangria.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Après ride recovery beverage.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After our evening briefing, we met up for a glass of Ribera at the terrace bar and were delighted by the views.  Then we set off in search of some tapas for dinner.

View of the Guadalquivir River from the terrace of our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We learned that it’s Féria week in Seville and these ladies were posing in our hotel’s lobby.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a great day and Seville is an amazing city.  Tomorrow is a rest day chosen so that we can explore some of the sights.

Day 3: Arcos to Seville
Heart 1 Comment 1
Helen Louise ChapmanAll looks amazing . That’s a fair few km and elevation each day !
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 2,030 km (1,261 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0