Day 28: Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Laguardia - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2023

Day 28: Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Laguardia

Gun shy is the name of the game.  The fender was installed today.  The ground was quite wet when I opened the curtains this morning, too.  And the weather report says we are going to encounter light rain again.  It also indicated that the best time to ride will be around 2pm.  Well, we can't wait that long before leaving, so here we go again.  

The left side of the road has some blue sky and we want to ride in that direction, but I fear the Garmin will make us go towards the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the sky on the right side - yep, that's the direction we're headed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we rode through Bañares, we saw this church with its unique entrance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we left Bañares, we were entertained with another mural.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wheat (or is this spelt) looks strong and healthy.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltWheat or spelt?
--- Yes! :-)
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-spelt
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Oh the sky is so threatening looking. We're going to be in for it today!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bronze sculpture in Haro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Haro - Capital del Rioja. It isn't the capital of La Rioja region, but it is the capital of the Rioja wines.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich FrasierI’m just catching up with your journal - from Haro! We’re here for the Eroica Hispania and it’s still raining…
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Rich FrasierWishing you the best!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Another bronze sculpture in Haro.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill BogueYup - I took the same shot last year!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyYou must’ve had a cup of coffee next door, too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bill BogueTo Sanna PhinneyOuais - certainement! (Frenglish)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Poppies & vines.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Goodbye Haro!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today is going to be a vineyard day as we travel through La Rioja in the Basque Country. Look at those mountains!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This valley was a real treat to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church in San Vicente de la Sonsierra.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The castle in San Vicente de la Sonsierra. We didn't ride up to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Apparently there is an annual religious event held in San Vicente - a flagellation.  I think that is one we will not be interested in seeing!

Shortly after leaving San Vicente, we are riding through barley fields and another castle appeared on the hilltop.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As you can see the skies aren't too bad.  The rain we've been expecting hasn't happened yet.  Fenders are a good thing to have!

We are officially in the Basque Country now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The grapes are ready to bloom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can you see the little clusters?
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Ebro River - disappearing pool
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridge over the Ebro
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poppies & vineyards
Heart 3 Comment 0
A unique hotel at a winery in Elciego.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Valley view from today's summit - those dark fields were purple and I think they are peas in full bloom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking towards the mountains that are the start of the Cantabria region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Borne marker for this area. Vitoria is the capital of this region, the Basque Country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The scenery just keeps getting better and better.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We made it up the steep climb into Laguardia to our hotel. This is our room for two nights.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Have you ever seen a bidet like this? It's huge!
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the Plaza Mayor there is a clock which has a carillon with figures that dance to music.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Evening stroll to the overlook.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill BogueWe stayed here last year at the Castillo el Collado, owned and operated by “The Count”, who was very attentive and engaging. I can’t quite determine which hotel you guys were at. We arrived from the East; I got separated from our group near the bottom of the hill below town. I rode the wrong route up to this overlook, trying to find our hotel. I then rode all the way down to the main road where I located our chalk route marker, then all the way back up to our hotel. Bonus climb!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyOur overflow stayed up at El Castillo and loved it. We rode in from the south the first day and from the east then second day. The south hill was wicked!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bill BogueWe arrived from Puente de la Reina, then I climbed southward up the west side of town to that overlook. Once back down and onto our designed route, I then went up the east side of town to Castillo Collado. This helps me recollect some of our experiences from this portion of our trip (but probably boring for others).
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Our layover day ride will take us over that mountain and back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vineyards as far as we can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street scene in Laguardia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our dinner spot - a cavern built in the 16th century - two stories under our hotel. The table is an old grape press.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Well, it didn't rain and we had a most wonderful ride today.  We toured and enjoyed the villages we rode through, as well as, the countryside with its jewels.  The most traffic we encountered today were those narrow tractors used in the vineyards.  Great day!!

Day 28: Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Laguardia
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 456 km (283 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0