Day 26: Burgos Layover Day - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 26: Burgos Layover Day

It's a layover day in Burgos . . . do we ride?  Do we play tourists?  Well, it's a balmy (not) 3C and the wind isn't just blowing, it's howling!  We ventured out into the hotel driveway and immediately returned to the warmth of the lobby.  We're really torn because if we do the long loop today, we could be in the town north of us by 12:30 for the  Vuelta de Burgos Femme start.  Finally we decided it was too darned windy to go for a ride.  So, tourist it will be!

Before we went to see the cathedral, we walked around town in search of the Trek bicycle shop.  We decided to purchase a fender based on the weather projections and the fact that we decided to leave ours at home.  

We found this mural on our walk to the bike shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And we found the fender we wanted at the Trek shop . . . and they had the saddle I'm searching for, but the larger size.  Sure wish the saddle was still available, but it's been discontinued.  Sigh!  Back on track to our day wandering in Burgos.

A mosaic mural that we stumbled across on our way from the hotel to the cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We decided to spend the morning touring the Cathedral de Santa Maria before finding some lunch.  The exterior of this cathedral is so intricate and makes the building look so huge.

The backside of the cathedral which houses the door at the top of the Golden Staircase (see below).
Heart 3 Comment 0
Entry to the cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A chapel just inside the cathedral main doors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main dome over the main altar and choir chamber area. The decorative artwork is very intricate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bishop's sarcophagus with such fine detail carved in the stone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An ornate altar piece in one of the many chapels inside this cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Golden Staircase that leads to the entry doors from the road on the backside of the cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another very detailed dome in the cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The main altar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The choir seats are carved out of dark walnut with inlays on the seats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are two organs in this cathedral, one from the 15th century and the new one from the 16th century. Both are still operational.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The little guy on the right rings his bells on the quarter hour. The big guy rings his bell on the hour. When he rings his bell, his mouth smiles with each strike. I wish I could post the video of it in operation.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This chapel was very ornate - the altar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And it's dome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are 8 of these carvings around the backside of the main altar that tell stories.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An ornate dome from another chapel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entry door to a charter room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
El Cid's coffin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cloister.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After spending a few hours listening to the audio guide and learning about the cathedral, we were tired and went in search of a light lunch:  pizza and salad.  Every good lunch needs to be completed with dessert.

More hot chocolate and churros.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It has been another very cold day and the wind has been relentless.  Hope tomorrow brings some break in the weather as we set off on the ride again.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0