Day 2: Vejer de la Frontera to Arcos de la Frontera - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2023

Day 2: Vejer de la Frontera to Arcos de la Frontera

The weather forecast says that the afternoon is going to become rather warm … we’re hearing a heat wave is on its way.  So, we were prompt and ready to ride by 9:00 - bags were loaded on the van, sunscreen on, tires full of air, and we were ready.  Starting in Vejer means your have a nice downhill start to the day and downhill we went.  About 14 kilometers into the ride, we realized we still had the somewhat large room key with us.  Sigh!  It’s too long a day to turn back, so we’ll just have arrange to return it by mail.   

After our descent from Vejer, we found ourselves riding through a variety of fields: wheat, sunflowers, and something that looked like chard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another happy sight - wind turbines without motion
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vast fields abound
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are riding with other folks
Heart 2 Comment 0

About 15 kilometers into the ride we came across the first ranch that raises bulls (as in bullfighting bulls).  Our timing was perfect as the caballeros were exercising the bulls. 

As we were climbing we came across this corral full of bulls.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill BogueThat’s a lotta bull…
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
And there were a couple of caballeros there, as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The caballeros ran the bulls up the hill alongside the road as we were climbing up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It appeared there was another corral up the hill where the bulls were being moved to.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The temperature is continuing to climb and so are we - to the village of Medina Sedonia.  

A church in Medina
Heart 2 Comment 0
Street scene in Medina
Heart 1 Comment 0
And another charming white street
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we rode along an area being converted to a solar farm, we noticed a nest up high.  In Oregon we would have assumed it was the Osprey, but here in Southern Spain we saw two storks in the nest.  We watched them for a while and the male flew off.  He was beautiful, but sadly I’d put the camera away.

Two storks on top of the nest
Heart 3 Comment 0

After more hills and towns, we came across a beautiful lake. All I could think of was how refreshing a swim would be.  However, we needed to keep focused and find our final destination of Arcos de la Frontera. 

Our first glimpse of a large lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water looked so inviting
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the dam we were able to witness how low the water was - drought.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There’s where we’re headed. It’s another town on top of a hill.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill BogueFinishing towns are usually at the top of hills, especially when it’s 30+C!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
It looks like the town is hovering along a cliff edge (and it is!).
Heart 2 Comment 0
That’s Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once we entered the town, the roads were cobbled and STEEP.  We ended up riding all the way up to our hotel because if we stopped, we’d never get started again and we deciding riding would be easier than walking.  We’re staying in a Paradore - quite a lovely one, too, I might add.

Our room for tonight
Heart 3 Comment 0
The church outside our hotel’s doors (sadly it was locked).
Heart 1 Comment 0
The large church down the road from us (and locked up, too.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mayor’s office
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street scene in Arcos
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our first sangria
Heart 5 Comment 0
View from the terrace of our hotel looking at the church we had hope to visit, but was locked up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Valley view below Arcos looking east
Heart 3 Comment 0
Valley view below Arcos looking west
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a great ride today, but long and hot towards the end.

Day 2: Vejer to Arcos
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 2,122 km (1,318 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0