We've got the boogie fever - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 20, 2021

We've got the boogie fever

Another Tucson dance day

We plan to dance tonight again so are taking off the day from biking. After breakfast, we drove into town to do some more shopping.

First on the agenda was a stop at a Goodwill Boutique store. I had noticed it on the drive home yesterday and while I knew there was one in Denver, had never visited it. Supposedly they carry more high end donations. 

The store had a completely different feel - less than a thrift store and more like a small nicer retail shop. I saw many new, designer labels on the clothing. 

While Don couldn't find anything to his liking in the men's section, I found a really nice short black dress with long sleeves. It fit perfectly and still had the original tag from the store. While it was higher priced than dresses sold at their regular thrift stores, it was still reasonable and will be good to wear tonight at another one of those 'over air-conditioned' studios.

Next we stopped by an estate sale. There wasn't much for sale that we needed, but I did find some jewelry. When we're in Denver, shopping at estate sales are a weekly thing. I've bought most of my dance outfits and jewelry at these sales - at very cheap prices for vintage as well as more current designs. Our feeling is - why buy new when you can get great deals at thrift stores?

Last on our outing was another stop at the Walmart to pick up more things we forgot to buy the other day. 

The rest of the day we did some chores and relaxed. Don spent quite a bit of time cleaning the outsides and insides of our many windows. We have 18 if you count the 2 skylights! There were a lot of water droplets on them from the trip through the truck wash. 

After dinner we got dressed up and drove over to attend a dance at the other studio we'd been at last week. (the one with larger floor). This dance was being sponsored by a local USA dance chapter. This a dance organization that holds group dances and competitions across the US. 

While it wasn't a practice dance per se, they did have a class at the beginning followed by the actual dance. There were about 40 people in attendance. Many we've been seeing the past couple weeks. They recognize us as the 'couple from Colorado'.

It was a lot of fun and we got in lots of dancing, but by 10 we pooped out. Time to head home. We've found our timing in visiting Tucson was a bit off since next week is Thanksgiving so these 2 studios are closed for the holiday next Friday and Saturday. Guess we'll have to resort to biking and practicing on our portable dance floor!

I found this hunk of dead cholla branch on our bike ride the other day and carried it back to the trailer. I've got a craft project in mind to work on when we get back to Denver and had been looking for one of these for a while. They were being sold in Oatman for $5.00 a branch!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this is a Desert Christmas Cholla based on the red fruit?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed! There are several pencil chollas, but this one has the matching spines and fruits. Good call!

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=61
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the confirmation Bill
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Maybe a Staghorn Cholla with it's purple stems?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it to me.

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=86
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks again Bill
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jumping Cholla, I believe. It has these interesting dangling clusters of fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYou got it! Becoming quite adept at cactus ID.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill! It helps to have a good cactus of AZ ID book that has detailed pictures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
There are as many varieties of prickly pear cactus as there are cholla cactus! This might be an Engleman Prickly Pear, but I'm not sure.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltAgain I agree!

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=3722#
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0