I've been to the desert on a horse named Garfield - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2021

I've been to the desert on a horse named Garfield

San Pedro River loop east

Finally! A bike day to report on. 

Today's ride was going to be an out and back on Cascabel Rd which runs north of Benson on the east side of the San Pedro River. We had ridden some of this last year and found it to be a nice low traffic road. Since it was Sunday, we figured it would be even quieter.

We drove to the small community of Pomerene and parked in front of their school to start the ride. Our start point could have been in Benson at the visitor center, but the bridge over the river was closed for construction hence our alternate start.

It was already sunny and hot out (we've had nothing but clear skies since we got here and most days get up into the 80's). There was no traffic in town since everyone looked to be at the local churches. The further we went, we did encounter some ranch vehicles hauling cattle or horses along with a few out-of-state tags.

Except for occasional ranches, not too many people live out here in the desert. It was a peaceful ride as we huffed and puffed, then walked up one big ridge. 

On the other side, we dropped back downhill, barely pedaling for a long way as we continued north. I wondered how hard the return trip was going to be. 

We crossed many dry washes and cattle guards as we passed in and out of free-range areas. You could see where heavy rains had washed sand onto the road. 

What was interesting was that on the north side of the ridge cholla and barrel cactus appeared along with more ocotillo. Maybe this was due to a slightly higher elevation or more moisture than further south? Guess that intrigues the biologist in me!

I had hoped that we could reach the old Western movie set that's supposed to be out this way, but we didn't get that far. Don wanted to turn around after we had done about 10 miles. Maybe another year we'll make it further. 

I was just happy that Don felt up to biking since he had mentioned that his achilles on one foot was sore. But he said it was fine while pedaling. 

The climb up to the top of the big ridge heading south wasn't too bad and we made it up to the top without walking. From there it wasn't long before we made it back to the truck. 

After loading the bike, we drove back to St. David to see if our favorite pecan guy was open, but since it was Sunday, his stand was closed. Bummer, maybe tomorrow. So we returned to camp where it was already late afternoon. 

Tomorrow is our last day in this area and we have a busy day planned - laundry, bike ride and starting the packing up of camp. 

This climb is a lot steeper than it looks! But there were great views from the top of the ridge looking to the west.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This home had many iron sculptures out front. These were just a few of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were out in cattle ranching country today. This rancher had a fun post on his driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the ranches had put their own creative names on the roads going to their homes. Others just named them after themselves - like "Keith Ranch Rd".
Heart 0 Comment 0
We put some suet up in a tree and have started to draw in a few birds including this one which I think is a type of sparrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 251 miles (404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0