It's raining cats and dogs, and I fell in a poodle - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2021

It's raining cats and dogs, and I fell in a poodle

St George rain day

It was sure hard to get motivated to do anything today! I just felt like wrapping up in my Pendleton blanket with a good book and a cup of tea. At least the furnace worked correctly all night and throughout the day. So maybe we're good! Cross fingers!

The rain had started last night, continuing off and on this morning. It finally tapered off by noon with a little sunshine and blue skies. But it was also windy and quite cold with temps barely climbing out of the low 50's. We could see snow on the mountains around us! Bryce was in the 20's and we were sure glad we had left that area.

Add in the windchill and it didn't appear to be ideal for riding, even on my single. I'd be bundled up in all of my cold weather gear. I sure have been kicking myself that I didn't bring my heavy fleece winter bike clothes, but who knew it would be this cold? 

So we went to the grocery store and then drove over to Hurricane to explore some roads for potential bike rides. We'll be staying in Hurricane next week. 

It looks like we could easily access the northern end of the Virgin River trail, as well as, the road to Zion NP. Lots of options.

Later in the afternoon we did some dance practice in the pavilion. Once Don swept off the floor we had a really large space to dance which was nice. But our new swing moves need a LOT more work! 

After we danced, we walked over to the lodge and took a look at their dance facilities. There is a small floor in the bar and a large one in the ballroom which is equal in size to the one at our home Elks in Lakewood, CO. They offer live music with dancing on Wednesdays and Fridays. Since we'll be in Hurricane for a week we'll be able to drive over to do some REAL dancing!! Now that we've been "boosted", we feel a lot more comfortable being around other people.

Tomorrow is a travel day as we move to an RV park in Kanab. We would have preferred to stay here longer but we can't cancel the Kanab reservations now without losing a lot of money. 

Had we known how nice the Elks camping was with good access to lots of biking, we would have just skipped Kanab. St George was a last minute itinerary change forced by our furnace issue. Oh well, another time.

The Elks Lodge in St George has an amazing view of a golf course and city below. It has a large active membership.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A baby cactus!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like silver cholla.

https://www.americansouthwest.net/plants/cacti/cylindropuntia-echinocarpa.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This White-crowned sparrow has been about the only bird we've seen around here but I do hear a small bird up in the rocks that has an interesting call that trills down the scale for a few notes then ends with a few more notes. I wish I knew what it was!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don doing his work of sweeping our dance floor in the pavilion by our campground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0