Homeward bound - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2021

Homeward bound

Tucson, AZ to Las Cruces, NM

It was a sad morning today as we packed up to leave AZ and head back to Denver. I think if we could have been able to stay here over the winter, we would have done it. But we've got commitments at home. Sigh.....

The drive to Las Cruces took about 5 hours - all of it on the interstate which was mostly blah scenery, except for the stretch between Lordsburg and Las Cruces. 

Back in 2010, we rode this part in ONE day! A little over 120 miles! But we had a kickin' tailwind that literally shoved us down the highway. I could barely stand up when I got off to take a pee break. I doubt we'll ever have that strong of a tailwind again. But it sure was fun!

We didn't stop much on our drive except at rest stops and a Walmart in Deming to get RV antifreeze. Don wanted to put some in our water lines now since we've got below freezing temps ahead for a couple of nights.

I did talk Don into also stopping at a gift shop near the Continental Divide. They sold a lot of tourist crap, but we did find some nice SW placemats and a couple of New Mexico stickers. As we were leaving, Don pointed out the Continental Divide cycling t-shirt I also could have bought. Bummer! Oh well, next time. 

By late afternoon, we pulled into the Las Cruces KOA for the night. It's okay as it has great views of the valley. If you'r tenting it here, they have really nice, large tent sites. 

Tomorrow we head north.

Hey - why didn't we get this site at the Tucson KOA??!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or this one with a raised balcony patio - perfect for watching sunsets over the tops of the RV's?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our site was located under the solar panels. Not too exciting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's the beautiful skirt I bought at the NRG Ballroom dance studio. Perfect for the holidays! Just ignore the sweatshirt, and picture it with a red lace camisole top under a short black bolero jacket along with my red and black dance shoes!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here's our site with it's own lemon tree!
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we were at Lost Dutchman SP, there was a group of ladies camped there with their vintage trailers. They were part of the Sisters on the Fly club which apparently has over 15,000 members across the country. Their trailers were so cute - like this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was named "Rosie" and had Rosie the Riveter on the side, along with polka dots on the propane tanks and trailer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was another cutie, all decorated for Xmas!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a nifty one - not sure anyone was sleeping in it, but there was a rustic kitchen off the back end and with a green toilet tent on the side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0