Hankering for Hoodoos - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2021

Hankering for Hoodoos

Springville to Bryce Canyon NP

Well, today was the day we both knew was going to happen sooner or later - the dreaded 'packing and hitching up in the rain'! Ah...the joys of RV'ing! 

At least we weren't dealing with the issue our neighbor had happen to his big bus. As someone else was pulling their trailer out in the drive to leave, their awning (that they had forgot to roll back in) was extended and slammed into the driver's side window on the bus, shattering the glass!! 

How nice! NOT!!! Now everyone had to deal with the insurance companies and the bus owner had to get a window replaced. He did a temporary fix with a piece of plexi-glass but said they now had to wait to get a claims adjuster out to assess the damage so their trip was on hold for the time being. Just one more thing to learn, although we're pretty good with our departure checklist with both of us double checking things before we leave.

Packing actually went better than we thought, mostly because we had planned ahead and gotten most everything stowed under cover in the truck. But we still had to move the bikes into the trailer and finish unhooking our power/water lines without stepping in puddles of water. Sigh..... the floor of the trailer will sure need a good cleaning when we get to our next spot!

We managed to get it all done and were on the road a little after 10. 

As we headed south on the interstate, by the time we had gone about 20 miles, the rain stopped and we had some blue skies. Plus it looked like it was clear in Bryce, our next destination.

It was interesting that south of Springville we passed an area that had a lot of large orchards. Huh - we had wondered where the apples, peaches and pears were coming from that we see in the farm stands as there were no orchards near the Provo/Springville area. Now we know!

The drive today was fairly short - about 4 hours - and took us into familiar territory. We even spotted a touring cyclist north of Panguitch. He was fully loaded and pulling a trailer that had a dog in it. 

Boy, I don't think I'd care to be touring in this area at this time of year! You could have some nice fall days, but probably would be dealing with cold overnights with possible snow in the mountains.

As we pulled onto Highway 12 we were greeted by those wonderful red hoodoos! We both love this part of Utah and have cycle toured through here several times. It's not easy riding, but so scenic.

By 3 we pulled into the Bryce Canyon Pines RV park which is just south of the entrance to the national park. What a beautiful park! And we have full hookups, showers and a guest laundry which is a bonus.

The sites are situated among towering pine trees with plenty of room between each camper. We won't be able to put out our dance floor here because of the gravel but that's ok. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll get in some nice bike rides. 

Got any goodies for me?! There was a petting zoo at the truck stop in Joseph, UT. Along with this guy, they also had a camel and various chickens/geese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at the rest stop in Panquitch where they had a sign describing all of the scenic routes in Utah, including the Western Express bike route - seen in the purple line on the map. We've did that route in 2010. Very challenging but beautiful scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, I guess if that guy fit through there, we can too! There are 2 tunnels along Highway 12 on the way to Bryce Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took this picture for my friend Gary. Very cool cars and truck!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now, as a cycle tourer, seeing this on the back of a large RV sure doesn't instill much confidence in their driving ability around bikes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our beautiful campsite in the pines near Bryce Canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Maureen HollandJim liked the picture of the old cars/truck. Reminded me of Pixar's movie, Cars. Sure glad Garfield and Tango were spared getting hit by someone's awning. What a hassle.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago