Exploring the Desert Riviera - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 7, 2021

Exploring the Desert Riviera

Colorado River loop

Since today was a Sunday, nothing music-wise was happening at the Elk's so we went for a bike ride. This time we drove south to Parker Dam where we found a place to park.  Once we had the bike loaded, we headed west over the dam to a road that ran along the Colorado River on the California side. 

This was a route we had ridden last year and knew it was a much quieter road than those around Lake Havasu City. While the pavement was a bit rough in sections, traffic was light so we could focus on enjoying the desert scenery. 

I kept hoping for some bighorn sheep to appear on the craggy peaks next to us, but didn't see any today. Although we did spot several wild burros. After seeing so many in Oatman, it was kind of "ho hum", more burros!

There were lots of RV resorts along the water but only a few looked appealing to us. Most were a little shabby with rundown trailers parked too close together and gravel sites. 

The road was mostly flat to a little rolling, but there was one stinker of hill that we slowly crept up as we headed south. After we turned north, Don announced we had to walk the climb on the other side which was steeper. 

It was hot trudging along next to the cliffs and my bum foot started to complain. Walking causes my ankle to flex too much which makes it hurt. I was happy when we reached the top! Don said it was only a 1/4 mile walk, but it sure felt much further!

Zooming back downhill, we quickly returned to the last little climb going up to the dam and our truck. I was glad that we had left early to do this ride as it was already afternoon and hot, hot, hot. 

Back in town, we stopped at a grocery to pick up a couple of things, then returned to the trailer. 

While I relaxed and iced my foot, Don offered to go to a laundromat to get our massive load of laundry washed. When he got back, I was doubly glad that I hadn't gone with him (public laundries stress me out right now) as he said it was very busy, no masks worn etc. But at least we're caught up with dirty clothes.

Other than dinner and starting our packing up of camp, the rest of the evening was pretty quiet. Tomorrow we head east!

This is the Parker Dam with its iconic art deco pillars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Colorado River is lined on both sides with tons of RV resorts, private homes with their own docks and a couple of state parks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just in case we wondered.........we were riding in the Riviera - the Desert Riviera!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks green but it's fake! Perfect for the desert, but not sure how the golfers feel about this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the last remaining building from Crossroads City - a community of about 3000 people that was located here in the 1930's while the Parker Dam was being built. It apparently was a "rough" town! This stone structure was a mercantile store for many years then became the post office. That operated up until 1973.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of dunes along the river for the OHV's to play on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other than lots of burro poop, there weren't any live ones to be seen on the road. But I did spot a few up on a hillside and a couple of more in a day use park that some tourists were feeding.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 291 miles (468 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0