Boogie fever - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

December 3, 2021

Boogie fever

Phoenix dance day take 3

Another day, another dance night! Yup, call us crazy but we do love to dance. If we were staying in the area longer, we would likely also be doing some biking, although the state park isn't an ideal start location for a ride.

Tonight's venue will be at a dance studio that advertised the largest floating wood floor in Phoenix. We'll see... but the pictures we saw online looked promising. 

We spent a couple of hours this morning running a few errands, including finding a Costco to fill up the truck. For some reason gas is more expensive here in the Phoenix area vs in Tucson. So there was a long line of people at the gas station since the cost is much lower than elsewhere. 

Since the dance didn't start until after 7, we had plenty of time to relax around camp this afternoon. I spent the time sitting under the awning, reading a book and watching the critters. It's so peaceful and quiet here at this park. The soft peeping noise of the quail was so soothing it nearly lulled me to sleep! 

We took our time over dinner and and enjoyed one last sunset in this area. Then we got dressed and drove to Tempe to the NRG Ballroom dance studio for our evening's entertainment. 

The floor was beautiful and quite large with plenty of room to dance, even though there were quite a few people here. They also had a small ballroom where they simultaneously did West Coast Swing. The DJ in the main ballroom played a variety of music. 

Before the social dance started at 8:30, there was an intermediate class in Night Club 2-step. We're quite familiar with this beautiful slower dance and know a lot of different routines, but tonight we actually learned 3 more new steps. That was worth the price of our admission! 

There were a lot of younger people here along with those our age. But it wasn't a "senior" crowd like the last couple of nights. I even saw several girls dancing with each other. Guess anything goes, but they were having fun and stayed out of our way.

We stayed for about 2 hours, but our feet were pretty sore at the end. Don even let me buy a beautiful long black skirt with red roses! 

We've seen several studios selling dance dresses, but most of them were very fancy sequined and beaded performance/competition dresses that cost $300-$400. You could even rent one for $50. But not my style. So I was surprised that this studio sold nice dance skirts and tops - usable for anyone. 

It was nearly 11 pm when we made it home which is VERY late for me! At least I can sleep in a little tomorrow as the only thing we're doing is moving back to Tucson to a KOA for one night. 

Going there cuts off a couple of hours on our long drive to Denver. Plus we can do one more dance! 

Sunset over the Airstream
Heart 0 Comment 0
This motorized paraglider spent quite a while this evening flying around the Superstition Mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the gorgeous competition dresses that we saw at one of the dance studios we were at recently. Hmmmm - choices, choices! But they might be a little over the top for any of the places we dance at in Denver.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These long flowing dresses are worn if you are competing in Waltz or Foxtrot. The short slinky ones are worn in Latin dances like cha cha, tango or rumba.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The NRG Ballroom dance studio had a beautiful floating floor and was decorated for the holidays with a Xmas tree in the center. My dancing wasn't that good tonight as I was constantly distracted by the tree and those 2 pillars at either end of the floor. I was afraid I was going to do a move and fly right into one of those obstacles!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0