A new day, another new state - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2021

A new day, another new state

Borrego Springs, CA to Lake Havasu City, AZ

Up early again and packed up by 9, we were ready to head east to Arizona and our next campground. It was a long drive, made worse by rough roads in Imperial County  around the Salton Sea (don't they EVER redo their roads??!!). 

Don had wanted to drive through Brawley and Glamis to Blythe, but I strongly recommended we drop south to El Centro to connect with I-8 just in case the road through the dunes was as bad as other roads we've taken in that area. We had ridden that route on the Southern Tier, but biking is a lot different than pulling a big trailer on a crappy road. 

Our truck also does not ride smoothly, and you feel every bump and jar. Sometimes I literally get nauseous! While we love Toyota's, we're seriously considering replacing it with a different brand this winter since it's just not comfortable to ride in when doing these long trips. Don also wants one which has a bigger tow package since he feels we're maxed out right now. In addition, he's looking at a diesel truck with a longer bed that could better haul the tandem for day rides. 

Anyway, taking the route through Yuma turned out to be better, road wise, and we were able to get cheaper gas once we were over the border into AZ. 

We enjoyed the different sights in this part of the state, and I rejoiced when we spotted the first saguaro - yea, my favorite cactus! We're back in AZ!

It took until nearly 4 pm to reach our destination of Lake Havasu City where we had reservations for the RV park at their local Elk's lodge. It's ok, with full hookups, but the sites are all gravel and we're right in the middle of the city with busy traffic on the road next to us. Sigh.............guess we got spoiled in Borrego Springs at our desert oasis. 

But one reason we're here is that this Elk's has music and dancing 3 days a week. It's quite an active lodge with over 4000 members! 

I'm hoping that I can dance in a couple of days. Otherwise, we'll be riding somewhere. While this area doesn't offer the best bike routes, we will make do. London Bridge here we come!

Our last sunrise at Borrego Springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you remember those ground squirrels I took of picture of the other day, I think this is one of their burrows. Pretty big!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another morning shot in Borrego Springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite in Lake Havasu City, AZ wasn't the oasis that we had in Borrego Springs. All gravel sites in the middle of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0