Hualien - Taiwan 2014 - CycleBlaze

November 12, 2014

Hualien

Almost a rest day

This was another very nice day, although the weather wasn't quite as cooperative as yesterday's. We made a pretty lazy day of it, biking only 30 miles (and much of that downhill) and taking in a few short walks. We spent the morning further exploring the lower end of the gorge, mostly hiking the trails around Eternal Springs Shrine. The shrine commemorates the many workers who died constructing the cross island highway, but is also a testament to how unstable the earth is here - first built in 1958, it has been rebuilt twice since then because the earlier incarnations were destroyed in earthquakes. The trails here, as in most of the gorge, are littered with dire warnings to watch for falling rocks and not tarry beneath the cliffs.

The butterflies at Taroko Village were pretty amazing. It's an exercise in futility waiting for one to pose for you though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Taroko Village
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marble wall, Taroko Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eternal Spring Shrine, Taroko Gorge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Below the walkway to Eternal Spring Shrine. I have it on good authority that the characters say you can hear the water running - a true statement, if true.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bell of Changuang Temple, Taroko Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Color coordinated, Eternal Spring Shrine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taroko Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Liwu River from Taroko Tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rock formations along the lower Liwu
Heart 0 Comment 0

After finishing our tour of the shrines (featuring a climb of about 1000 steps), we dropped to the visitor center and set off on a walk along the Decalun Trail. This trail, at least the part we completed, is more or less a continuous stair climb. After another 1000 step ascent with no end in sight we turned around. After this we dropped out of the park and biked out to Chongde Beach for a look at the famous, dramatic Qingshui Cliffs rising precipitously off to the north. We finished off the day riding down the coast to Hualien, mostly in a light rain. Even in the rain the ride was enjoyable, mostly following a cycle path.

The endless staircase - hiking above Taroko National Park visitor center
Heart 0 Comment 0
Giant Elephant Ear
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two giant elephant ears
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Chongde Beach, below the Qingshui Cliffs
Heart 3 Comment 0
Drying net, Chongde Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dories on Chongde Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Chongde Beach
Heart 2 Comment 0
Resplendent peacock, Chongde
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 200 miles (322 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0