Wadebridge to Launceston: a terrific day of cycling--the opposite of yesterday - Southwest England in April - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2014

Wadebridge to Launceston: a terrific day of cycling--the opposite of yesterday

Heart 0 Comment 0

607 metres (1991 feet) up, steepest grade 13%

WEATHER: SUNNY AND SLIGHTLY BREEZY, HIGH 16C

The bed at Wadebridge B&B was the most comfortable of our trip, and breakfast, served downstairs in the skylit conservatory included cut fruit, yogurt and croissants as well as a freshly cooked “full Cornish”. This B&B, also called Orchard House, is a recently-built home with skylights and photovoltaic panels on the roof. It was interesting to talk with Steve about the mechanics and economics of small-scale electricity production. We would highly recommend Wadebridge B&B, and we're not surprised it is the top accommodation for the area on TripAdvisor. Steve is a great host, extremely well-organized and helpful. Eva felt fine this morning, and we packed up and headed off downhill at about 9:30.

Wadebridge is a handsome, prosperous looking city, with large stone houses lining the road to the centre. Our route took us through the centre of town and along the river Camel with views back to the residential areas on the hillsides. Then we climbed up to a height that became the average for the rolling terrain (quite rideable) along a reasonably quiet B-road all the way to the downhill run into Camelford. Al kept looking in his rear-view mirror to make sure Eva was following, and was reassured to see her always right behind.

Looking back along the Camel River at Wadebridge spread out on the hills
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Camelford, we stopped for bacon, brie and cranberry sandwiches at the Four Seasons Deli. Bacon for lunch was a bit much after all the bacon we'd been eating for breakfasts, but it was the best option. The deli looked out on a nice park with the River Camel running through it, and after lunch we crossed the river and headed uphill on the main A-road for about four kilometres and then turned east on a small lane that took us across the north edge of Bodmin Moor. When Al had planned the route, he hoped it would not be raining or windy on the day we crossed the moor because there was absolutely no shelter. Today the weather couldn't have been nicer, and the scenery was quite spectacular in its own stark way. There was very little traffic and the road was flattish. We passed sheep and shaggy ponies grazing, as well as a reservoir and an old WW2 airffield, before heading gently downhill past picturesque stone cottages and an isolated pub.

A stretch of the road across the north edge of Bodmin Moor near the old WWII airfield installation
Heart 0 Comment 0
A high point on the moor to the southeast, We were lucky to have such pleasant, settled weather to ride such an exposed stretch of road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of about four vehicles that passed us on this stretch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ponies, sheep, and water shortly before we started heading gently downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0

The downhill did unfortunately end, but in a very scenic little valley with a stone bridge across the stream near several farmhouses. Unsurprisingly, this was followed by a very steep (but relatively short) uphill stretch—one of the few times we had to push the bikes. From the height of land it was a short stretch on an A-road, across a motorway on an overpass, and along quiet lanes to the busy last kilometre uphill to the B&B.

At the bottom of this scenic little valley, it was hard to imagine what flooding - like that which struck the UK in February - would do to the surroundings
Heart 0 Comment 0
The little stone bridge and the road we had just come along
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at Tyne Wells House, just outside of Launceston, in the late afternoon and were shown to a large bright room with corner windows overlooking rolling green fields full of sheep and the edge of Dartmoor in the far distance. When we asked for dinner suggestions, our host, Mary, was very enthusiastic about a “traditional pub” the Eliot Arms, located in Tregadillet, which she said was a short walk away. Since they were likely to be busy on Good Friday, she phoned and booked a table for us so we were committed. The Eliot Arms turned out to be a good three kilometres away, about twice as far as downtown Launceston—a rather long walk after cycling 50 kilometres!

Our room near Launceston overlooking pastures extending to the horizon, with Dartmoor in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0

The pub was low-ceilinged and obviously quite old and completely packed with diners. We were both really hungry and made the mistake of ordering starters--brocolli Stilton soup for Al and pate and toast for Eva—which we inhaled. Then came the main courses—pork steak with Stilton sauce for Eva and lamb chops for Al. These were enormous plates, including jacket potatoes, grilled mushrooms and tomato, onion rings and peas to accompany the large portions of meat. It was all well prepared, but way too much food. We wondered how our fellow diners, many of whom obviously had not cycled and walked that day, could clean their plates. We ate as much as we could fit and then staggered back to the B&B. Our legs were tired!

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 326 km (202 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0