Launceston to Great Torrington: onward into Devon - Southwest England in April - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2014

Launceston to Great Torrington: onward into Devon

Heart 0 Comment 0

797 metres (2,614 feet) up, steepest grade 16%g

WEATHER: SUNNY, STRONG HEADWIND

Mary served us a good breakfast in the downstairs dining room overlooking their lovely garden. The other guests were three veterinary students from the US doing an exchange progam here for six weeks. Mary and Bernard's grandchildren were visiting as well.

The fields stretching toward Dartmoor in the distant east viewed from our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Packing up to leave under the watchful supervision of the younger members of the family
Heart 0 Comment 0

After taking some photos, we left about 9:45 on the A-road to Holsworthy. This was the only reasonably direct option, but traffic wasn't bad considering it was Easter weekend--perhaps all the travellers were already at their destinations. There were loads of steep hills though, so we did a fair amount of walking.

The ruined castle looming over downtown Launceston
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived in Holsworthy at noon, and as we approached the Holsworthy Cafe we saw four lycra clad cyclists wheeling their expensive road bikes out through the door. The proprietor told them they couldn't park inside, but could set the bikes just outside the window where they could see them. Oh oh, we thought, then there won't be room for our bikes. But the lycra folks said it was too risky, as in a few seconds a thief could grab a bike and ride away. They went off somewhere else, so we happily parked our steeds in front of the window and sat down for surprisingly good (and inexpensive) prawn sandwiches and coffee.

A typical view across fields on this day's route
Heart 0 Comment 0
More fields. The fields were punctuated by one town, Holsworthy, and while the cycling was pleasant enough, the ideal weather was perhaps the main attraction.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Holsworthy the headwind really kicked in, and there were more hills the rest of the way to Great Torrington. The last kilometre uphill through the town was incredibly steep, and we pushed our bikes to Eastmond House B&B located in the main square. Our room was very small, but clean and fine for one night. The ensuite bathroom was so tiny that we wondered how larger guests would fit. We found dinner just around the corner (in contrast to yesterday) at the Black Horse Pub, with its large red-carpeted dining room. We had cauliflower soup and sesame crusted chicken with spinach sauce—quite good and much more manageable portions than yesterday's dinner.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 374 km (232 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0