Cirencester to Oxford: a lovely ride through the Cotswold countryside - Southwest England in April - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2014

Cirencester to Oxford: a lovely ride through the Cotswold countryside

Heart 0 Comment 0

202 metres (662 feet) up, steepest uphill only 5%

WEATHER: MIX OF SUN AND CLOUD, SOME HEADWIND, A FEW SPRINKLES, HIGH 17C

We really enjoyed our last full day of cycling through gently rolling countryside and picturesque Cotswold stone villages. The riding was so pleasant that we didn't even stop to take photos. Our Air BnB host in Oxford had asked us to arrive there before 4 pm if possible, so we felt a bit under pressure to make good time. Our lunch stop in Bampton was about halfway, and we reached the Romany Pub there at 11:50. The landlord opened the door as we were parking our bikes under the roof overhang and advised us that only a proper Sunday lunch would be served today at noon, no sandwiches or light meals. We told him that was fine with us and he invited us inside.

We found a table in the dark panelled dining room with its low beamed ceiling, and exactly at noon approached the bar. The landlord barked, “Roast beef or turkey? We asked for turkey, and his next question was “Cauliflower cheese?” Of course we said yes, and then ordered a pot of tea to go with the meal. Eva likes strong tea and almost asked for an extra teabag to be added, but was glad she hadn't when the large white china pot arrived at our table with four tea bags inside. We were served an enormous lunch—sliced turkey, two yorkshire puds each, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, squash, a pitcher of gravy and a dish of cauliflower cheese. The pub gradually filled up with locals who had a pint or two with lunch while talking excitedly about the two soccer games that were coming up on the pub's large-screen TVs . They were settling in for a long afternoon. It rained hard for ten minutes or so—the only rain of the day—while we sat happily indoors with our bikes under cover.

The Sunday lunch in Bampton. Even for hungry cyclists, the repast was rather more than ample.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the entrance to the pleasant Romany Pub in Bampton, where the only sharp shower of the day came down while we were inside eating.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Bampton just past 1:00 and flew along the uncrowded small roads with their easy grades. The traffic increased as we reached the outskirts of Oxford, but quite soon there was a bus/bike lane we could use to get into the centre of town. Our lodging was in the Jericho area on a quiet street within walking distance of the museums and colleges, and we arrived there by 2:45—well before 4:00. This was our first experience with airbnb, so we weren't sure what to expect. Our host, Hoonie, showed us to our room with its private entrance and ensuite bathroom in the windowed basement of her home. Hoonie was friendly and hospitable and had provided lots of information pamphlets about Oxford's attractions. We planned to spend two full days here before taking the train back to London.

Our airbnb accommodation in Oxford, which we reached before the deadline of 4pm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the late afternoon sunshine we explored the pleasant area near the B&B, with its shops and restaurants, churches and colleges. We were surprised to eventually feel hungry again after our huge lunch, and decided on pasta at a Strada outlet with hazelnut and pistachio ice cream for dessert.

A street scene on our way from the B&B to the restaurant for dinner,
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 689 km (428 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0