Day 50: Dogma - What I Did On My Summer Vacation - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2010

Day 50: Dogma

I thought I was going to buck the trend. Everyone said, "The dogs will chase you in Kentucky...". I was chased in Missouri a lot but not in Kentucky, until today that is. Oh, it never amounted to anything, but that first Beagle-mute that chased me....well, I was more concerned about the "non-dog chasing streak" than getting chased. "You broke my streak," I said to the dog as it ran beside me barking. He seemed to bark less than and become a little more friendly after I started talking to him. Eventually he got tired of my lecture and turned back for home.

After that a few dogs gave chase but they usually saw me too late and I had some fun staying JUST ahead of them... ;-) I think I'm being chased less now because I'm on my own. Before, with the guys, I usually rode in the back. By they time I came along they were all riled up and ready to rumble. More than once today I saw a dog dosing on the side of the road and I just peddled softly (so the bike didn't make any "clicking" noise from the gears) and slid right by via the stealth method.

Other than that today was pretty straight forward. I'm in Appalachia now though, it's a little more rural and a little more "poor" looking. Though sometimes you see a run down house and right next door is a nice new big house all "middle class" like...

I'm staying at the cyclists bed and breakfast at the Historical Society of Hindman, and David, the host, is giving me the run down on the cultural aspects of the area.

I almost didn't get to stay here at all! I had planned on it but when I arrived there was a sign on the gate saying they were closed the 23rd and 24th because of the flooding in a nearby town, there were some fatalities and he was too busy with that to host anyone. "Where else can I stay," I asked. It turns out there really was no good alternative for a cyclist so he was nice enough to take me in, which I really appreciate!

For anyone riding this route you should definitely stay her. It's camping, and costs $25 but you get a great place to hang out, all the ice tea (or whatever you want) you can drink, a giant baked potato for a snack (you can order food that is delivered too), and, for after dinner, a huge sundae! (See pic) Tomorrow I get breakfast. Oh, free laundry, all done for you while you relax on the lanai, or the Appalachian equivalent of the lanai.

Tomorrow I might be in Virginia! My last state! :-) If not tomorrow than Monday for sure.

Typical church in the countryside
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a church made entirely of logs! It was built in 1927. When asked about it in the local store the shopkeeper said, "I have the key if you want to go inside." So he handed of the key and I went in unescorted. It was really cool, all wood of course. I tried to take pics but it was too dark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I guess this is the Kentucky equivalent of smoking and non-smoking sections in a restaurant? On the left is smoking (see ashtray) and on the right is non-smoking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
My sundae at the cyclists bed and breakfast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are the other caretakers at the bed and breakfast. They help with the leftovers ;-)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 3,980 miles (6,405 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0