Day 35: Wow, long day! - What I Did On My Summer Vacation - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2010

Day 35: Wow, long day!

Wow, it was a long day in the saddle-113 miles to be exact, my longest day yet! It was a little longer than planned because last night's original stopping point had no decent place to stay. Even the town park had no bathrooms. So we stopped 18 miles sooner than planned and made them up today.

But, the place we stayed in Bazine called the bicycle oasis bed and breakfast was great. It is run by a couple who saw a need for bicyclists to have a nice place to stay in town. Most camp in the back yard (like we did) and you can get dinner and breakfast if you call ahead.

But Elaine and Dan are great hosts. For the $10 fee we did laundry, had a shower and got to meet the family dogs and pets. Dan showed me his garden and the tricks he taught his dogs. Oh, and all the mulberries you can eat from the mulberry tree in the back yard. I have never had one and they were great!

So, anyway, today we had a big day. It was more or less 'routine' though. We had a headwind for most of the way but were able to work together to make the effort a little easier.

The surprising thing is that I don't feel totally trashed by the mileage. In fact I feel pretty good, considering. Who would have guessed?

Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy so pictures were not the best but it did make it a little cooler.

Here was the sign for the bicycle bed and breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0
See. Mulberries!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where we camped at the bicycle oasis
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doug, Howard, Elaine, Dan, Jordon, Alex
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are Dan's dogs
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After we took this picture a the driver came up and asked us seriously, "don't you have these where you live?"
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was looking for Shoeless Joe but he was nowhere to be found
Heart 0 Comment 0
Believe it or not I eat this whole thing!
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and I have the pictures to prove it!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 113 miles (182 km)
Total: 2,520 miles (4,056 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0