Day 5 - Dickson to Jackson TN - Summer Tour '99 Report - 17 states, 1 province - over 4500 miles - CycleBlaze

Day 5 - Dickson to Jackson TN

From Camden on, and for some of the part between Camden and the river, 70 has no shoulder. From Camden to Huntingdon there is enough traffic to make the lack of a shoulder a problem - although not a serious one because the drivers were so nice - but after Huntingdon, there was very light traffic and the lack of a shoulder wasn't a problem.

Todays ride was all on US 70, but 70 changed character several times during the ride, so there were really at least four sets of riding conditions: moderate traffic - no shoulder (OK because the drivers were polite), light traffic - no shoulder (very nice riding), moderate traffic - narrow shoulder (good riding but some vehicles passed too close), and moderate traffic - wide shoulder (easy riding, but boring).

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Camden on, and for some of the part between Camden and the river, 70 has no shoulder. From Camden to Huntingdon there is enough traffic to make the lack of a shoulder a problem - although not a serious one because the drivers were so nice - but after Huntingdon, there was very light traffic and the lack of a shoulder wasn't a problem.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The section of 70 from Camden to Huntingdon was the worst riding of the day and the section of 70 from Huntingdon to Jackson was the best. There were fewer hills in general today - probably half as much climbing as in any of the previous days of this tour - but the best riding was in the hilliest section between Huntingdon and Cedar Grove. Headwinds were also a problem and a blessing. They were five to ten mph at their highest which slowed me down a bit, but in the afternoon when the headwind went away riding became mighty hot. Temperatures got into the low 90s in the afternoon and it was muggy. Riding in the morning was quite pleasant, in part because an intense line of thunderstorms had passed through during the night.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0