Day 5 - Near La Poissonièrie to Saumur - France, Top to Bottom - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2023

Day 5 - Near La Poissonièrie to Saumur

Only 47 miles today, yet still managed to daly around until we were rushed to make the chambre d'hotel by 6pm. Followed the Loire Valley / Eurovelo 6 route the whole day today. It was mostly flat along cycle tracks and small roads, but there was a surprising bit of climbing before Saumur where we veered off the river for ten miles or so.

We are coming to the realization that food requires a bit more planning than we have been giving it. The only restaurant near our chambre d’hotel was a pizzeria that was closed for the week. “En Vacance.” So, we headed out looking for sandwich fixings. Both the butcheries and the fromage shop were closing for the night at 7pm, and we made it to the grocery store 20 minutes before it closed. On the way out with our sandwich makings, we noticed that the grocery store would be closing at 12:30 tomorrow (Sunday) and closed all day on the Monday holiday. Hmmm.

So, we have made the decision that tomorrow we will raid any store or boulangerie we see in the morning and stock up on food for the next two days. Food is very important when riding.

Typical of the riding all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
What did I say yesterday about there being a boulangerie next to every church?
Heart 1 Comment 0
High-tech toilet on the right, low-tech toilet on the left. In the high-tech toilet, there is a button on the wall. A single push locks the door and turns on an occupied light. A second push unlocks the door, turns off the occupied light and flushes the toilet. We were in mixed company, so I used the high tech toilet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
riding into Saumur
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chambre d'hotel for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 271 miles (436 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0