Day 17 - Montouban to Gaillac - France, Top to Bottom - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

Day 17 - Montouban to Gaillac

Boulangeries are tricky. We were in a self-catered apartment the night before so the breakfast plan was to eat a cup of yogurt purchased the night before and then find a boulangerie. The yogurt part went according to plan. Finding a boulangerie also went according to plan. But finding an open boulangerie, that is the trick. The first two towns we went through both had boulangeries that were closed. It was 10:30 in the morning when we finally found an open boulangerie. I bought a chocolatine (no longer called a pain au chocolate here in the south) for my late breakfast and a cookie to stash for the afternoon. The next boulangerie we found was also open and having learned our lesson that one can never assume future boulangeries will be open, I bought a sandwich to eat later for lunch and upgraded my cookie. Then at 12:30 it suddenly began to rain and hail. Donna spotted some cover next to some stores that we sprinted to and discovered we were in front of an open boulangerie with tables outside under cover and the best selection yet. Unfortunately, I was already overstocked, so I bought a bottle of water to ease my conscience for eating another boulangerie’s food at their table and we ate lunch.

The weather today was either cold, cloudy and rainy, or sunny and beautiful, depending on who you ask. Doug and I would say the later as we had a beautiful mix of clouds and blue sky all day. Donna would say it was cold and rainy because it never reached 75 degrees and it did rain once, or twice, or I don’t know, who’s counting.

The ride today was a nice mix. It started with some busy roads to get out of Montouban, followed by a straight, flat rail trail that went on for 20 miles or so. Then we left the trail for some country roads that led through some small towns. As the day went on the roads got a bit busier, not terrible, just not the empty roads we have been spoiled by. We’re following the Tarn River and went through a few towns built on hillsides next to the river. Our final stop is Gaillac which is also a rather dramatic hillside town next to the river.

Leaving Montouban, we diverted through the town center which we had missed the night before. Very nice town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Closed boulangerie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First combo hillside/riverside town we encountered. Don't remember the name.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I've been jealous of everyones gardens all trip. A large percentage of the houses have vegetable gardens. This is an especially large one, but houses with very small yards will still have a small vegetable garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trying to get a picture of these poppies all trip. If my brother had more patience, I'm sure I could get a better shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical of towns passed through toay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everything, including the churches are made of brick now. I think this may have been town of Rabastens. I really should write town names down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across river at Gaillac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaillac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaillac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Gaillac just after crossing the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaillac had this old church that was empty inside with faded frescos on the walls. Kind of cool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the front of our chambre d'hotel for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this is the back. We are finding that many of these medieval buildings that front a skinny street have nice gardens in back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 824 miles (1,326 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0