Villeneuve-sur-Lot to Aiguillon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

Villeneuve-sur-Lot to Aiguillon

That’s Our Lot

Today is not a particularly spectacular ride but it is pleasant. Our final breakfast against the spectacular backdrop of the Lot, and the beautiful bridge, and we’re on our way. There’s even another Voie  Verte to get us quickly and smoothly out of town.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chāteau on the Lot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Market at Castelmoron-sur-Lot.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Castelmoron we stop briefly as there’s a market on there, but it’s hot and we’re focused now on finishing the trail so we keep going.

The landscape is really opening out now as strawberry crops under plastic appear right across the valley; there are  kiwi fruit vines and everywhere the maize is starting to grow  high. There are also fields of golden barley.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We come back to the river at Clairac and find a park with some shade where we can lunch. There are also groups of workers from the nearby Terres du Sud office. On the street, they have a machine, that dispenses hot food in plastic containers if you pay . There’s quite a queue waiting.

Lunch dispensed from a machine- quelle horreur!
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we continue on our way, we come down to a sanded ‘beach’ area near a campground. There are people who have been testing the waters.

Beach on the Lot. Curiously, there’s a no swimming sign which people seem to be ignoring.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Clairac we are on the road but there’s a turn off to a smaller cycle route. The distance is only 8 kilometres to Aiguillon, and soon we are there. From here the Lot joins forces with the Garonne and it’s also possible for cycle tourers to continue south on the Canal de Garonne, a great cycleway taking riders all the way to Toulouse. It’s a route we took in 2018.

We cycle into the centre and have a cold drink in the main place. They’re renovating the old Chāteau on the place and it’s a beautiful building that will require lots of work and money.

Final views of the Lot, before its confluence with the Garonne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After checking the location of the gare for tomorrow morning’s train, we’re off downhill to the hotel we’ve booked. It’s a little worn on the outside but the receptionist is very helpful and the hotel is pleasant inside. There’s also a garage for the bikes.

We use up most of our leftovers on dinner, even down to the Banzai noodles, in anticipation of a hearty breakfast in the morning. Providing a frisson of added excitement, a helicopter lands just outside our window.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,466 km (910 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0