Orpington to Portsmouth - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2023

Orpington to Portsmouth

Farewell to Old Blighty

Today involves a little cycling, a little management of bikes on and off trains, and onto a boat. We farewell Lee and head for the station at Orpington via the quiet local streets rather than the busy route, albeit with the cycle lane, that we used last time. Not only is it quieter, but much quicker.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Thanks Sustrans and Komoot. Waterloo East has a simple covered way which connects easily to Waterloo Station where the Portsmouth train awaits.

Our train trip is pleasant and non eventful until we alight at Southsea and Ann immediately realises she’s left her pannier in the train that’s now leaving the station. No matter, the staff are helpful and tell us that Portsmouth station, about 10 minutes away, will hold it.

During the race to the station, through Portsmouth’s city streets, it begins to rain. Where’s Ann’s rain jacket? In the pannier naturally.

The wait for the boat is full of bonhomie, and we strike up conversations with several tourers and bike packers.

Once in the queue it’s cold and wet. A number of the other chaps are wearing shorts and carrying tents. They’re full of typically Brit banter and there’s more than one lads week about to begin.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Bikes all fit into a small garage. By now we’re both chilly and are pleased to get to our home away from home.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 327 km (203 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0