Les Sables del’Onne to La Tranche - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023 to May 8, 2023

Les Sables del’Onne to La Tranche

More coasting along the coast.

A place in the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Our day off in Sables del’Onne is all about drying out. It’s a pleasant day to do this - sun shining and a gentle breeze. We clean our shoes and leave them on the windowsill to dry. It’s one floor up, so we take care. The rest of our clothes, we artfully dangle around the room and then head out for a walk. 
The town and harbour area are full of shoppers and holidaymakers. This being another holiday weekend (Armistice) the local numbers seemed to have been swelled by the visitors we notice pouring from the train station over the square from our hotel. We try to assess the local attractions. Water sports again are up there so the beach access is obviously close. The sea temperatures can’t be too tropical yet, but there are enthusiasts.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shop window displays. -“Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!”
Heart 1 Comment 0

There’s a wedding at the old church as we walk past. It’s always a chance to see what the latest styles are. They look pretty much like the last couple of weddings I’ve attended, no shorts though. The church itself is quite dark and cavernous, but in a pleasant, calming way. 

After our brief walk about we replenish our supplies and return our room for a generous lunch, a cup of tea and a lie down. We plan the next stage of our ride - to La Tranche and then on to La Rochelle. The route looks straightforward and, barring inundations from on high, it looks enjoyable, with some great sea views.

Monday May 8. It’s 9:30 ish and we’re packed, breakfasted and ready to go. There’s some trepidation about the state of our bikes, because we haven’t been able to get down to the garage to visit them. And yes, they are gritty and covered in dirt, but Ann goes over them with her dish cloth and I use a broom that’s handy. I also give the chain and gears a liberal dose of ‘Rock’n Roll’ lube. It seems to work and take off is smooth. I’m still a little mystified as to why the bottom bracket bearings get so rough feeling in rain and mud but seem to be ok once they dry out. I’d like to take a look in there one day. I believe the bearings are the sleeve type.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

By ducking down a street off the harbour we emerge to an endless vista of seafront. It’s quite a revelation, from a narrow street of old buildings to views up and down the coast for miles. There are runners, cyclists and walkers all out vying for space.

The cycle route is a doddle; not that we’d complain of course. And the sights are worth taking in.

Beach life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reassuring Velodyssee sign returns.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stop at Jard for a spot of lunch. Today there are any number of food outlets should we wish to avail ourselves of them but we’re ok with our baguette and Camembert.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once away from the beach, the trail includes some marshy area and later some forest which we bypass by keeping to the road. The marshlands are pretty and there are a variety of animals feeding on the lush grass- goats, cows, horses, and I even spot some donkeys in there.

Goats larking about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Careful viewing will reveal the remains of the old chateau which once guarded over this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally we’re back to the coast at La Tranche and searching for the mobile home we’ve booked at one of the many campgrounds along this stretch of coast. We find it and sort out our options. 

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 784 km (487 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0