In Angouleme - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2023

In Angouleme

A exploring day that ends comically.

Our first task for the day, after lots of Mothers’ Day greetings from NZ, and following the satisfaction of breakfast, is the laundry. There are two shiny new machines in the laundry at the bottom of the building. We follow the instructions and download the required app. No success. The app tells us the machine is kaput. The display screen on the machine tells us it is kaput.

Nice try but machine is on strike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Up at the desk the friendly receptionist says she knows it doesn’t work. Maybe a sign on the machine? So it’s washing by hand and our trusty bungee cord clothes line looped about the room. Fortunately it’s turning into a hot day, so the open window gets air moving. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accommodation, once a monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We head off up the hill to the centre of town. As we climb, we get wonderful vistas of the surrounding countryside of the Charente. The history of the area goes back to Roman times, but there have been conflicts between Vikings and Normans and the Plantagenets took power for a while. Elinor of Aquitaine was also involved in political machinations in the area. Jules Verne studied here, and Calvin established residence for a while.

We have a look at the cathedral that looks in a good state of repair, though its original Romanesque style has been altered somewhat by the 19th century addition of domes similar to those on Sacre Coeur. Not surprising since it is the same architect. They look ok to me but for the purist….   The exterior has some wonderfully detailed stone carvings.
Inside, there’s an organist practising with vigour and the sound is very full. The interior is strikingly white with its stone walls having been cleaned recently perhaps.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are excellent views from the walls as we walk back down the hill.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice line of gargoyles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the town we walk back down to the museē of comics. There’s a book display for young children on in the foyer. A band is preparing to play loud music. Responsible parents are grabbing earplugs, presumably for their children, that are being doled out at one of the desks. We escape into the museum to see the comic displays.

Earplugs handout.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The display starts with images related to music and comics. A number of comics from our younger years are on display. Other displays include American cartoons and many of the traditional French author illustrators.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mop tops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had been interested in seeing the Paper Museē, but were too late. The water supply and its constant temperature made the area ideal for paper making. The water from the Trouvé river that emerges from underground was of particular importance.

Back at our abode, our washing is almost dry and we enjoy some quiet reading before deciding on our next day’s ride, which will be to Nontron.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0