May 31: Day off in Chicago - The Great North American Sticky Bun Hunt - CycleBlaze

May 31: Day off in Chicago

CHICAGO IS ONE of the world's great cities. It's where skyscrapers were invented, where for two decades the world's tallest building stood before it was surpassed in Abu Dhabi, and where the metro runs noisily but colourfully on metal bridges the length of streets.

The river gives a great view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

They call it the Windy City, not after its weather but because of bragging city politicians trying to secure the World's Fair a century ago, but for us it was the lightning city. The rain began after we got off the train and the lightning flashed and the thunder echoed from the walls of one skyscraper to the next and on down the canyon of streets.

I'll keep this brief because we were on a side trip and not cycling, but you'll get the idea of the hours of downpour when I tell you we were the only two on a boat trip on the city's rivers. Normally the guide would have spoken to a hundred through a loudspeaker; instead we had a personal explanation as she stood in the rain beside us.

Not blood to commemorate Memorial Day ... simply red for the local hockey team
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got back to Rensselaer - spot on time, thanks to Amtrak - it was to find it had rained a bit "but really not that much."

Trains on stilts - just like in films!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0