Day -365: Next year - Blessed Chaos - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2020

Day -365: Next year

Smaller rides for now.

COVID-19 has a knack of leaving things hanging, doesn't it? Uncertainty has been the name of the game.

If you tour, I'm sure you can fill in the internal (and sometimes external) debates we've been having. But for now, we're planning on next summer for our trip.

It gives us time to prepare. That's more fun to write about than my cognitive dissonance, anyway.

The brake work is pretty much done, now. The new discs on the Yuba are gigantic; and effective. Pro-grade, compressionless Jagwire brake cable housing makes for some responsive cable brakes. On the tandem, my stoker can engage an Arai drum brake using a bar-end shifter. The drag brake has already proven handy on Indiana's small hills, as I still have work to do to get the rear V brake working better. Don't know why that thing has been so tough to dial in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
J has his badge of honor from his first ride with clipless pedals.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonOuch! Been there, done that!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We're planning local tours, so that we can social distance, and refuel at home, without making frequent trips to the store. But that also means that we'll need to take the dog, so we don't put anyone else in an uncomfortable position every time we ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We're close to the countryside, so we can get out of town quickly. And now we have buffs for everyone, so even the kids can cover up their faces in town, so we don't leave trails of breath or make people feel uncomfortable.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice to have rivers around here to quietly go splash around in, so we're not cooped up all the time.
We've got time to become better campers, too. We camped out behind a friend's lake home the other day. (Thanks Johnsons!)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

So I suppose you'll hear from us from time to time between now and next summer. We're in this COVID-19 thing for the long haul, and I don't think we'll be going on a long tour before then.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe are sure all living in interesting times. All our touring hopes have been put on hold also. That includes our own hoped for trip from Germany to Greece and our annual trips with our 2 sets of grandkids. Hopefully next year will allow a return to our preferred normal. Enjoy the short explorations near your home. Maybe you can view them as training rides. All the best to you and yours. The Grampies
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith KleinHi Paul,
Most importantly, stay safe. The on bike safety is easy compared to microbiological safety, but hang in there. We are just emerging from eight weeks of quarantine here in France and my plans are on hold, too.
Nice to hear that the kids are looking forward to the tour.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Paul StatenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI like that way of looking at things. I kept thinking of your comment on our overnighter this week. Next summer, the kids will be stronger, and with the dog being in Utah ahead of us, I think we should be pretty capable. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope you're well during all this! I'm going to have to go check out your journals more closely. Riding as a tribute was very cool.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Paul StatenTo Keith KleinStay safe out there, Keith! Look forward to hearing about some future tour of yours.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago