Day -112: Sleeping, part 1 - Blessed Chaos - CycleBlaze

Day -112: Sleeping, part 1

Tents? Hammocks? Pads? Bags? Quilts?

Hammocks or tent?

We're testing hammocks (courtesy of the amazing Mark Stosberg); and the hammocks certainly have the kids' vote.

Our test bed testbed.
Heart 1 Comment 0

But we'll be going across the Great Plains, which (as the name suggests) are pretty big. So we're leaning towards a tent.

Either way, we'll want sleeping pads. So I sliced up our $7 department-store specials to make them packable-by-children (the slicing and dicing was inspired by the said Mark Stosberg). They're not quite as lightweight or soft as a therm-a-rest, but they might be better on some ground. In any case, I was able to tailor them to the children to save some weight.

That's about how snug we'll be, I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And with that all said and done, we should have plenty of space in the Halo 6p tent...though we probably won't be doing any sneaky camping in it. The thing will be visible for miles in the plains. And if J wants to carry the weight, I figure he can take the 1-man tent given to us by Grandpa Tom.

Theoretically, there's room for all in our Marmot Halo 6p.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And now we just need to make the sleeping quilts. We have a wide assortment of sleeping bags in our house, but all are too heavy, and some are too coldfor the high desert nights. That said, there may be some sleeping bags that I can convert to backpacking quilts. First, I'll need to make one, to gauge the difficulty, the utility, and the weight. To be continued...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonReally looking forward to this. This is going to be great!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Paul StatenTo Scott AndersonThanks! We sure hope so! =)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago