to Pittsburgh - biking from Omaha to DC - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2022

to Pittsburgh

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was going to be an interesting ride. We would reverse the 5 last miles of yesterday's route to start and the last 13 miles were going to be the start of Sunday's ride.

Those first 5 miles had 650 ft of climb and two people asked for a ride to the Montour trail where it would be flatter. About 10 miles in there was a trail closure. We did not see the little paper dispenser of a detour route and  went off in the right direction only to get confused. I got separated from the three people I had been riding with.

I ordered lunch at the restaurant we agreed to meet at. It was very bad. The rest showed up about an hour later. Their grilled cheese took forever to be served and were barely melted.  Ken and I sped off to Pittsburgh where four people were going to join us for the remainder of the trip. For those of you who have been reading along, two of these are the two who left a week or so ago due to testing positive for Covid. Later tests had negative results.

After World War I, Pittsburgh started to boom. There isn't much room between the rivers and the mountains, so they pushed tunnels through the mountains to create some residential areas. It seems to be booming again.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,446 miles (2,327 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0