to Cumberland MD - biking from Omaha to DC - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2022

to Cumberland MD

Divide
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mason Dixon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
9/11 memorial trail rider
Heart 0 Comment 0
Start of C&O
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today promised many milestones, both literal and figurative. There are mile markers all along the GAP, I don't remember the exact distance but around 150 from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. There were also the Eastern Continental Divide and the Mason-Dixon Line which forms the state border. It  was scheduled to be 32 miles but I did more. Pretty ride with a good surface, birds calling, deer, chipmunks and other mammals seen.

We had been hearing for days about a detour around construction on the C&O trail that the GAP meets up with. The options were mostly not good. A steep hiking path hauling your bike, a bad series of roads or some sort of mystery vehicle shuttle. The people with heavy ebikes thought their only recourse was the bad roads. Our group organizers have made it possible to use our support vehicle for the shuttle. This will be very time consuming but a safe option. We will see tomorrow how many of the 5 who plan to hike over the mountain will actually do so.

There was a group of riders who are participating in the 9/11 National Memorial Trail Ride going from DC to Flight 93 to New York and back to DC.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,632 miles (2,626 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0