to Canonsburg PA - biking from Omaha to DC - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2022

to Canonsburg PA

Panhandle trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montour trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday's talk had been about rain today. When I woke it was not raining. When I finished breakfast, the roads were dry. I knew it was going to be hilly and on narrow windy back roads and there was a chance of rain. However, I decided to risk the ride to Canonsburg. No one else in the group of 8 was planning to ride and did not. I had climbed the steep road  away from the Ohio River the day before and knew it was going to be tough. There was 1000 ft of climb in the first 7 miles! 1400! ft in 10 miles! 

There was more of a downhill run and some flat sections subsequently which ended the day at 3700 ft. It was a pretty ride through the back roads. Weirton was an old steel town well past its prime.

Then onto the Panhandle and Montour trails. The WV part of the Panhandle was rough and not much fun. The PA part was well paved. The Montour in PA was very nice crushed limestone.  The last five miles were on hilly roads to the hotel. We will reverse the route on the way back to the trail tomorrow. I didn't stop much trying to beat the rain which did come mid-afternoon. 

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 1,397 miles (2,248 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0