Comeauville to Annapolis Royal - The Andersons at one - CycleBlaze

June 26, 1989

Comeauville to Annapolis Royal

(Rachael)

We woke up to the sound of rustling in the kitchen and started thinking about the breakfast to come.  We quickly made ourselves ready to meet our hosts.  We had a wonderful breakfast of spicy sausage, eggs and toast while we visited with our hostess, who was soon joined by her husband.  They gave us more information about the area and Arcadia.  They were very pleasant people.

We started on the road at about 9:30, wondering what we would encounter in the way of weather and headwinds.   The headwinds were still there, but not as strong.  We went about five miles to a town called Church Point, where we stopped to look at the largest wooden church in North America.  The interior was pretty but far less ornate than a lot of churches I have seen.

Sainte Marie Parish, founded in 1799; the largest wooden church in North America
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sainte Marie Church
Heart 1 Comment 0

We headed off again, toward Digby, still fighting a headwind but enjoying the incredible views of the ocean and trees.  At Saint Bernard, Highway 1 connected up with 101 and we began encountering some more traffic but still not a lot.  About ten miles away fromm Digby, in Plimpton, we stopped for a break at a church adjacent to a graveyard.  A lot of the people in the graveyard were related to each other in one way or another.

After our break we continued on to Digby.  We had to leave the highway to reach town, but it was worth the detour.  The main street runs along the ocean, and we found a restaurant with an outside terrace overlooking the docks.  In the short time that we were there the tide moved up the beach about 30 feet.  After lunch we bought a few postcards and found a picnic table overlooking the docks to write them.  It was an enjoyable and restful break.

Approaching Digby
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scallop fleet is out for the day, Digby
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the pier, Digby
Heart 1 Comment 0

We then proceeded on to the campground where we planned to spend the night, a mile or two outside of Annapolis Royal, about twenty miles away.  At one point, Scott indicated that I should go on ahead because the route would take me below the overpass he was waiting on and he could get a picture.  Unfortunately he didn't realize that it went uphill quite a ways before circling back down underneath the overpass, and he didn't wait long enough for me to arrive at the designated point.  When I did arrive, he was gone and I thought I had gone the wrong way.  Fortunately it wasn't too long before he caught up.

As we continued on the route turned inland and started to look more like the farmland we had seen in Maine.  We also encountered a lot more hills, with some being fairly steep.  We went through one town, Cornwallis, that consisted entirely of an armed forces training camp and you could hear the recruits being drilled.

About five miles outside of Annapolis Royal we ran into some construction that was severely holding up traffic.  When I stopped I realized I had another flat tire, so we pulled over to fix it and grab some trail mix and water.  By the time we finished, the traffic had cleared a lot and we proceeded on to Annapolis Royale.  On the way to the campground we stopped to get some food at a grocery store.  The selection was poor and the prices high.  We then headed on to the campground.

Although it wasn't as nice as the state park campgrounds we've been staying at, it did have a laundromat and ice cream.  The bugs were a lot better, so we had a picnic down by the water and did our laundry.  Before taking showers and turning in we had ice cream - only fifty cents for a good sized cone and lots of flavors to choose from.

Approaching Annapolis Royal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laundry day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Showing the tan lines
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 621 miles (999 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0